What if: came to US, went back, came back to US?

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
drivingalong
Rookie
Rookie

What if: came to US, went back, came back to US?

Post by drivingalong »

Hi,
I have a mystery... Francesco Picerno and Maria Giuseppa Germano had 3 children in Verbicaro before 1901. Then Francesco Picerno came to the US in 1901 on the Karamania. I know he was in S.F. and have info to confirm this is the right Francesco. His wife and children were behind in Verbicaro. Then, VERY CLEARLY, the 1907 Verbicaro film shows the birth of a child with parents Francesco Picerno and Maria Giuseppa Germano.
Well, this had to mean Francesco went back to Italy to retrieve the family and had a child in the process. I do recall something about him leaving San Francisco before the earthquake and returning.... Because he was here, was there a process (VISA or ??) that would have resulted in him not being recorded in immigration records on his return? There is a 1909 record of Maria and two sons arriving in New York, one was my grandfather (two other sons are missing and I can only assume they died before departing from Naples).

(I have extracted over 400 names from the Verbicaro films so far. )

Thoughts?

Jim
Jim
BillieDeKid
Master
Master

Re: What if: came to US, went back, came back to US?

Post by BillieDeKid »

Hi Jim

If you have a subscription to ancestry you can check the american passports for him (I believe). If you don't have ancestry maybe another forum member can check for you.

Hope this helps.

Elizabeth
drivingalong
Rookie
Rookie

Post by drivingalong »

Thanks. I have a membership and have not found passport info for him - yet. Unless there is something special to do searching other than the Immigration collection.
misbris
Master
Master

Post by misbris »

In the early years, passports weren't always necessary, especially if the immigrant was a resident of the US, but not a citizen. There were no records for those returning to Italy until they returned to the US. I matched census records, birth records, and immigration records to figure out my ggfather's comings and goings.
Poipuo4
Elite
Elite

Post by Poipuo4 »

There are a lot of mistranscriptions in the Ellis Island and ancestry manifest databases, so if you search by name, sometimes the names are so mangled that you will never find them. You could use the Steve Morse web site, www.stevemorse.org and this is a huge undertaking, but search by the name of the town. When you see names that are mangled or just don't look Italian, click on the real manifest, and see if any of the names matched. I did this with Celenza Valfortore, but luckily, it is is a small village with only about 1000 immigrants through NY.

Also, did you check all ports: Boston, Phillie, etc...?
http://www.celenzaheritage.com

dedicated to the people of Celenza Valfortore, Province of Foggia