Monaco surname - from Palazzolo or Palazzolo Acreide

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
dgregoretti

Monaco surname - from Palazzolo or Palazzolo Acreide

Post by dgregoretti »

Hello all. I will be visiting Sicily in September and am trying to figure out exactly which town my grandfather was from.

His full name was Giuseppe Monaco, born March 8, 1888. The Ellis Island passenger records indicate he was from Palazrolo, Siracusa, Sicily. However, it seems there is no such town (unless I'm mistaken). I'm thinking he must've been from either Palazzolo (but that is in Catania province), or Palazzolo Acreide. I'm not sure how much stock to place in the Ellis Island records, but they're what I have at this point. He did arrive in the US in 1912.

If someone could point me in the right direction or has access to any relevant information, I would greatly appreciate it. Also, if there is any other information that I could provide that would be helpful in a search, please let me know. Thank you.
misbris
Master
Master

Re: Monaco surname - from Palazzolo or Palazzolo Acreide

Post by misbris »

Hi and welcome to the forum,

I checked the Ellis Island records, and it looks like many Monacos came from Palazzolo Acreide. Also, check this site and you will find that it is still a very common name in this town.

http://italia.indettaglio.it/eng/cognomi/cognomi.html
dgregoretti

Re: Monaco surname - from Palazzolo or Palazzolo Acreide

Post by dgregoretti »

Thanks misbris for the info. It does seem that Palazzolo Acreide is the likely bet.