they came here, but went back to visit -PASSPORTS

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
carmine1917
Elite
Elite

they came here, but went back to visit -PASSPORTS

Postby carmine1917 » 14 Apr 2008, 21:15

I searched for my grandmother and uncles manifest for when they went back to visit Sicily in the 1920's. I was thinking it would have who they went to visit and where, it didn't.

Biff told me that they probably had passports. Duh! Why did I not think of that. So here is the website for anyone who is thinking about that
http://travel.state.gov/passport/servic ... s_872.html

Also, since all these new laws after 9/11, has anyone tried to get there ancestors passports? Any luck? I am going to call them in the morning.

misbris
Master
Master

Re: they came here, but went back to visit -PASSPORTS

Postby misbris » 14 Apr 2008, 23:34

A lot of passports are available on Ancestry.com. Unfortunately, if the immigrant wasn't an American citizen, he didn't necessarily need a passport.

carmine1917
Elite
Elite

Postby carmine1917 » 15 Apr 2008, 00:13

I looked on ancestry, the passport is not on there.

Essgee
Master
Master

Postby Essgee » 15 Apr 2008, 03:42

If a passport had been issued, you will find it on an inbound manifest...on the return to America from Italy. Often they are listed on manifests after 1930. So are references to the issuance of Naturalization with date and place. Could help you identify the number of the passport you need and where it was issued...help you track it down.

However, have you requested the records from the Family History Library on Piazza Armenia? They cover to 1910 and there is good indication that they returned to that place...since they came from there...and probably were seeing family.

The records could help determine the names of other relatives...and many could have remained in Piazza Arm. their whole lives. Worth a shot.

carmine1917
Elite
Elite

Postby carmine1917 » 01 May 2008, 12:06

I got 13 of the, i think 20 films I ordered. They even called someone who is good with Italian research to help me. LDS is great, I am very lucky!

My grandmother came back from a visit from Sicily in 1928.

Return to “Italian Genealogy”