Tomaso Giordano - Valgranna / Diano d'Alba

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
mblangero

Tomaso Giordano - Valgranna / Diano d'Alba

Postby mblangero » 27 Apr 2008, 22:47

I will be traveling to Italy in June and I hope to find information on my grandfather and his family. I know he was born in Valgrana on 2-16-1890. I believe he lived some of his childhood in Diano d'Alba. He was in the Italian army 1911-1912 and fought in Lybia. He lived in a monestary near his parents home when he was 10 to 15 years old or so. He immigrated to the United States in Jan. 1913. His father was also Tomaso and his mother was Maria Anna Blangero.

Where do I start when I get there? Can someone help me?

misbris
Master
Master

Re: Tomaso Giordano - Valgranna / Diano d'Alba

Postby misbris » 28 Apr 2008, 00:59

Hi and welcome to the forum, :lol:

Don't know if you have his Ellis Island manifest so I am posting it here for reference. Is this your grandfather?
http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0018
p2
http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0018

mblangero

Postby mblangero » 28 Apr 2008, 14:32

Yes, I do have this information. I found it some time ago. I also have found his WWI and WWII draft registrations (United States). He changed his name from Giordano to Blangero shortly after he had to register for WWI because he thought his Italian military service would guarantee his draft into the American army and he had enough of the military (any military)!

I am looking for more info on his parents and his siblings. I think he had 10 siblings of which I only know about 5 of their names.

Will the small village of Valgrana have any info since it is his birth site, or would this be more likely found in Cuneo along with family information?

alex.cuneo.italy

Postby alex.cuneo.italy » 01 Apr 2009, 13:21

Hi mblangero. i live very close from Diano D'alba.
Maybe i can help You- PLs tell me what do u need to know.
Alex

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Postby PeterTimber » 01 Apr 2009, 14:40

Dear M. Blangero In Italy Birth.marrriage and deeath records are inthe citym,town or village of origin and you cna request these documents form that place of origin by sending a form letter in Italian language to the Uffico di Stato Civile of the place of origin.

Go to www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwisdom/it ... tters.html and when you know the place (Comune) name you can go to www.nonsolocap.it and put in the name of the city,town or village and click CERCA on top. Whenthe town name comes up click the arrow on the name of the Comune and another page will come up for that pklace with a map. Scroll down to MUNICIPIO which is the address to send the form letter addressed to Uffico di Stato Civille.

This service is FREE of any charges by the Comune. =Peter=
~Peter~

mblangero

Postby mblangero » 06 Apr 2009, 15:00

Peter,

Thank you for this information. However, it is about one year late! Since my original question, I have been to Italy, I visited the comune of Valgrana and obtained my grandfather's birth info. from the municipio there. In addition, the clerk there looked for other siblings plus or minus ten years of my grandfather's birth date. We found records of two sisters. I went to Cuneo and found my grandfather's Italian military records at the Archivo Di Stato Di Cuneo. I also requested information from the Church at the Diocesi Di Cuneo and in March they sent me one Atti Di Battesimo for a sister. From this record I learned that my great grandfather is from Boves and my great grandmother was from Ribolente. I can now write to those comuni to see if I can obtain any additional family information.

Mark

Return to “Italian Genealogy”