Looking for ancestors who immigrated to the USA from Sicily

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Paolo45

Looking for ancestors who immigrated to the USA from Sicily

Postby Paolo45 » 01 May 2008, 16:21

My grandfather's brothers and sisters immigrated from Villarosa (Sicily) to the USA. Their name was Lomonaco. It is mine too. I know that they went to NY city and NY State. Their name might have been changed into LaMonica or Lo Monaco. This happened end of 19th century, beginning of 20th century. One of the brothers was called Tommaso. I hope someone can help. Thanks

daveferro
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Looking for ancestors who immigrated to the USA from Sic

Postby daveferro » 02 May 2008, 09:36

Did you see the post by lizferla? Her great-grandmother's name was Maria Lo Manaco, also from Sicily.

Checked www.castlegarden.org and there are 111 LoMonaco listed but no Tommaso. That site has info from 1830 to 1912 though Castle Garden was used until 1891 and the next year Ellis Island opened.

You can try there too: www.ellisislandrecords.org 281 listed there but narrowed to 81 if only 1900 +/- 10 years.

One Tommaso Lo Monaco, but he is from Miselmeri, Palermo Province.

Michela Lo Manoco from Villarosa age 24 Married on ship Palatia Apr 18, 1903. Many from Villarosa on that ship. Searching Lom- from Villarosa yields zero.

The other people here are magic, but need more information: names of your grandfather and grandmother, birth dates, maybe marriage dates. Some manifests have a column for the nearest relative (usually the father is listed) or friend in the native country; this is why the parents' name can help.

I spent Wednesday at our library looking through the volumes of Italians to America (two new additions, now up to April 1903) so will be back there Friday, hopefully, and will check.
Ferro (from Ferri), Capriotti(TE); De(i)Marzio, Nervina(o), Colucci, Gatto, Testa(CB); Basile(BA) ; Bianchi(AQ); Augello, Bissi, Iacono(AG); Pisano(), Impaglia () Friends looking also: Vivenzio (SA); LoPiccolo(PA)-seems to be Lopicolo originally

Paolo45

Postby Paolo45 » 03 May 2008, 15:42

Thank you Dave for your reply. Indeed I will try to gather additional information as adviced and post them asap.
Paolo

daveferro
Veteran
Veteran

Postby daveferro » 05 May 2008, 04:14

Paolo,

I wasn't able to get to the library, but vj and biff as well as others have access to more resources and will be able to help you more, and they are very experienced.

The library does have City Directories for Auburn, which has many Italians. There were no Lomanacos (any variation) in our phone book, but there are some in nearby Syracuse. My mother said she knows some from when she grew up. I'll look through the directories too.

Dave
Ferro (from Ferri), Capriotti(TE); De(i)Marzio, Nervina(o), Colucci, Gatto, Testa(CB); Basile(BA) ; Bianchi(AQ); Augello, Bissi, Iacono(AG); Pisano(), Impaglia () Friends looking also: Vivenzio (SA); LoPiccolo(PA)-seems to be Lopicolo originally

Return to “Italian Genealogy”