Making Your Research Permanent/Available to Others

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Scarlett227
Rookie
Rookie

Making Your Research Permanent/Available to Others

Postby Scarlett227 » 07 May 2008, 20:41

Please forgive me if I'm missing the obvious post/website, and just point me to it if you have already answered this question. I'm new so am trying to play catch up!

When I started my family research in December, I got an Ancestry.com account and have been entering in my family information and attaching documents to the records, or notes in the notes fields for primary sources. I print things out and give my mother copies too. She is doing the archival scrapbooking with family photos, etc.

One of the things I've discovered is that I am the only person researching my family -- no relatives have contacted me yet, I have not found any of my deceased Italian relatives on anyone else's family tree, etc. None of the surnames were in any of the Italian genealogical databases that I looked at, though I joined the IGG last month, and at least now my four family names show up on their list!

As I learn more, I am not sure of the "permanence" of my research, that is, how our individual family trees are added to some global database, so that if I cancel my Ancestry account, etc, future generations of researchers will be able to access the information. I'm sensing that most people don't rely on Ancestry, that they use a program residing on their computer like Family Tree Maker or Reunion (which I hope to get since I use a Mac). I think I've seen mention of a file extension for genealogical files or records that can be up or downloaded in order to transfer the information, but I don't know anything about that.

So my question is -- what do you all do to preserve the information you have? Is "registering" it with an Italian genealogical group sufficient, or do you upload it somewhere on the internet? I would really appreciate your advice on this. Personally I'm thinking I might cancel my Ancestry account, since their "international" subscription includes almost no Italian databases at this time.
Searching for: Mastronardi (Pietrelcina), D'Auria (Ariano), Ciaccio (Santa Margherita di Belice) and Prizzi (Menfi).

Joannsalvo
Elite
Elite

Re: Making Your Research Permanent/Available to Others

Postby Joannsalvo » 08 May 2008, 01:45

Hi,
I recently went to a genealogy conference at my local Family History Center and they recommended a few ideas.
You can donate your family tree to the historical society in the town(s) where your family came from so if future generations are doing research they may contact the historical society.
Also, I have been told that the Church of Latter Day Saints in Utah will also hold a copy. I am not sure exactly how that works.
Also, they said the National Archives will take family trees.

You should contact your relatives to see if they will share photo's or information to add to your tree. Especially if you are willing to share with them.
We know where we have been, it's even better to know where we came from.
I hope this helps.
Good luck with your research.

Sal
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Sal » 09 May 2008, 12:18

You can also upload it to www.rootsweb.com . I prefer this one since it is free for anyone to access. This is unlike Ancestry.com where you have to be a paid member to access most of their data. At rootsweb, you can simply upload a Gedcom file and the family trees you upload (of course privatized for any living people) will be available worldwide permanently and for free. People can leave comments and notes attached to any record they are interested in. I believe some new formats at Rootsweb let you upload images, etc.

Sal
www.trentinoheritage.com

Essgee
Master
Master

Postby Essgee » 09 May 2008, 13:18

Ok.....

First, you need a program to record your data in on your computer. This will enable you to work and revise your own data.

It will also enable you to create what is called a GEDCOM. A genealogy file in a special format that you can send from computer to computer. It can be used to upload your family tree to a site on the Internet, to send to another person via e-mail, etc. But you need a genealogy program to do that.

Second, the suggestion about RootsWeb is good. One should always be able to access these for free. But I think if you go to Roots web, you will be able to find your Ancestry information because they are the same company now and much of the world tree info is merged with free access. I don't think this applies to the private and public trees at Ancestry, but to the Ancestry World Tree and One world tree merges. Maybe someone else knows. (you will need a genealogy program to upload your info to RootsWeb.)

The Family History Library would love to have the information, I am sure. Speak to a volunteer at your branch and see what they suggest and how to go about it.

About your Ancestry subscription. If you feel it isn't worth paying for it, by all means cancel. But eventually, you will want some of the information they provide. Volunteers would be happy to check for you, I am sure. However, the sheer volume of original records is overwhelming. Are you only going to search out this one family? Or are there other families in your lineage that you want to work on eventually? The aspect of connecting with current relatives is dependent not on overseas records. Rather it is on records available on family on this side of the ocean...if you can track aunts, uncles, cousins, etc. through census and other records.

From your initial posting here in Feb of 2008, you have found some information that has been no doubt useful. I am not sure when you started your work posting to Ancestry. But for many of us with relatives from more remote areas of Italy, with surnames less popular then others, it might take 2 years or more before someone finds your information and responds to it.

This may sound strange, but I have found out more about my family by being the expert on that family. By having recorded all the births, deaths and marriages, by searching the name world wide, by paying attention to other surnames in the family tree, I have been able to contact others with information and questions. And then they began to ask me.

Remember, it is not only the family name your search, but the town as well...and this is where you will locate the first level of researchers that will connect to you...from those with roots in the same town. As a result of knowing my family names, I was able to connect with living relatives who then could fill in the blanks. So don't despair that no one is searching today for your family name...there is always tomorrow. Google the name and see what pops up. You will be surprised.

And remember, that Ancestry now has Ancestry.it going on line. This will enable more people in Italy to connect with relatives here. There has been a great surge in genealogy world wide. One day, someone with ties to your family who still lives in Italy may contact you!

The history of the world, the history of family, took generations to build. Don't worry if no one responds right away. Patience is the key to all of it. The more you find out yourself, the better the questions will be that you ask. Have you contacted all your cousins and aunts and uncles and whom ever to see what they know? Great place to start and clues everywhere.
You become the expert, go after all the information you can find and eventually the information will start getting to you when you least expect it.

Hang in there....it will happen...you just don't know when.

wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Postby wldspirit » 10 May 2008, 04:57

I agree with Essgee......you never know when you will make contact with another person researching the same line.
I have been researching one line for four years, and finally someone contacted me this week regarding our line.......we have been emailing back and forth all week....... 8)

She saw my name on one of the surname list.....so don't give up!!
Genealogy is a slow process, but well worth the wait!!

wldspirit

"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."

carmine1917
Elite
Elite

Postby carmine1917 » 10 May 2008, 20:46

I did mine on ancestry.com after I read this. I couldn't figure out how to add my grandparents siblings. Can anyone look at it and see if they can find it and if I did it right?

Thank you.

Return to “Italian Genealogy”