Additional help needed to find my grandfather's birthpl

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
langelo
Rookie
Rookie

Additional help needed to find my grandfather's birthpl

Postby langelo » 10 May 2008, 14:55

Does anyone have the address for a central archive in Italy that might locate my grandfather's birthplace as I am at a dead end at this point?
and/or
Does anyone have the address of churches in San Giovanni in Fiore where he may have been confirmed/married?

I posted here a few months ago seeking help in locating the birthplace of my grandfather, Ignazio Girimonte.

Many members of his family including several of his siblings and several of his children were born in San Giovanni in Fiore, (CS). I wrote to Cosenza and they stated he was located on the census in San Giovanni and his birthdate listed as 1856, but San Giovanni has stated at least 5 times now that he was not born there. I misinterpreted Cosenza's information as stating he was born in San Giovanni, but I realize I was wrong.

I have been intensively researching and writing to all provinces and many comunes near San Giovanni in Fiore with no luck. My cousin, Bill Girimonti posted him in error on the Familysearch website as being born in San Giovanni, then posted him as being born in Napoli, but I think that was the departure point when he sailed for US.

This board helped me to locate his ship the Neustria and I found him on the 1890 manifest.

Thanks so much for all your help!!

Lois

Seraphina
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Additional help needed to find my grandfather's bir

Postby Seraphina » 10 May 2008, 15:09

Lois, below is the list of towns in Calabria in which the name Girimonte occurs, and the number on the left is the number of people in that town with that surname:-

So if you have already tried San Giovanni and had no results, why not try Verzino in the region of Crotone. You might have better luck there, if you haven't already tried.

Calabrian Surnames Search Engine results

Surname = Girimonte;
Towns where the "Girimonte" surname occurs: 11 out of 380.

25.29 San Giovanni in Fiore Cosenza
22.72 Verzino Crotone
11.44 Marzi Cosenza
8.58 Caccuri Crotone
8.25 Mangone Cosenza
7.05 Savelli Crotone
3.10 Rossano Cosenza
2.97 Cotronei Crotone
2.96 Rogliano Cosenza
2.89 Paola Cosenza
2.80 Cosenza Cosenza

Hope this helps.

Seraphina

langelo
Rookie
Rookie

Postby langelo » 10 May 2008, 17:10

Great resource! Thanks so much, Lois

misbris
Master
Master

Postby misbris » 10 May 2008, 22:44

The Family History Center has the records for San Giovanni. Why don't you rent the microfilm and look yourself. You may be off a year on the birthdate or the spelling on the record might be different etc. I would search the microfilm myself before I contacted all those other towns.

http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library ... umns=*,0,0

langelo
Rookie
Rookie

Postby langelo » 11 May 2008, 12:13

Thanks Misbris, I will plan to do that.

Return to “Italian Genealogy”