So near and yet so far

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
DMazzie

So near and yet so far

Postby DMazzie » 10 May 2008, 17:54

Hi,

I am so close to finding the information on my family that originated from Stazzema and Castiglione di Garfagnana, but have had no luck in getting any positive responses from the churches or Comune / Archive offices in the area.

I have yet to receive a reply from any of the churches, even though I have sent donations, and have even wrote a letter to the head priest of the area.

I am trying to find the marriage record of IACOPO MAZZEI (born in Tuscany in approximately 1788) and ROSA GUAZZELLI. Iacopo was the son of Pellegrino Mazzei (who died some time before 1811), and Rosa was the duaghter of Marco Guazzelli. I am assuming that they married around about 1808 or 1809, but don't know if it was in Stazzema or Castiglione di Garfagnana.

I am also trying to obtain the birth certificate of their son LUIGI MAZZEI - born in Chiozza, Castiglione di Garfagnana in approximately 1809/1810 (as his age is given as 66 on his death in Pescaglia in 1876).
In 1809 / 1810 - Castiglione di Garfagnana was under Massa-Carrara, and not Lucca, so I have wrote to the Archivio di Stato di Massa-Carrara, but they have no record of his birth.
The Comune di Castiglione di Garfagnana also say that they have no information. Neither does the Archivio di Stato di Lucca.

The Archivio di Stato di Firenze finally sent me details of births of 3 other children of Iacopo and Rosa, all born in Stazzema (PELLEGRINO MAZZEI (1811); GIOVANNI MAZZEI (1813); and FERDINANDO ROBERTO MAZZEI (1819)), but seemingly won't help me any further (ie other siblings, although I can probably find these from LDS Microfilm).

Can anybody please suggest to me how I can obtain Iacopo and Rosa's marriage details, and Luigi's birth details.
PS, I wrote to the Archivio di Stato di Firenze to ask for the Allegati di Matrimonio for Luigi's marriage in Pescaglia in 1832 (as this apparently has other records), but they say that they only have allegati's for 1808-1814. Where else would hold these records?

Thanks,

Darin, Newcastle, England.

Return to “Italian Genealogy”