Profession "Mountaineer"

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Bullitino

Profession "Mountaineer"

Postby Bullitino » 12 May 2008, 22:39

My grand fathers birth records say that the profession of his father...is "Mountaineer". This was an 1897 birth. Can anyone tell me what a MOUNTAINEER is.....from Pagani

elba
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Profession "Mountaineer"

Postby elba » 12 May 2008, 23:07

mountaineer noun someone who climbs mountains. verb (mountaineered, mountaineering) intrans to climb mountains. mountaineering noun the sport of climbing mountains, usually aided by ropes, etc, either on snow and ice, as practised mainly on the higher peaks of the world, or on bare rock faces (also called rock climbing).

So your grandfather may have been a mountain guide or perhaps he belonged to one of the famous Alpini regiments.

Or does it say he's a 'montanara'? If so, then that is just a person who lives in the mountains (like me....)

Some present day Italian mountaineers:
If you think education is expensive - try ignorance!
"Gente di Mare Genealogy"

Julo
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Profession "Mountaineer"

Postby Julo » 13 May 2008, 02:03

Maybe you should write exactly what it is written on the document originally, without the translation. If it's MONTANARO, your great grandfather was a man from the mountains.
:-)

Return to “Italian Genealogy”