Piazza Maria , Caltanissetta , Sicily

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Romano1970
Master
Master

Piazza Maria , Caltanissetta , Sicily

Postby Romano1970 » 15 May 2008, 19:09

Hi again BIFF , VJ , MISBRIS , MICHELES

Biff , you had given me the draft card below on my first forum. I have a question.
Where it shows place of birth , is that Town ( Piazza Maria ) Provence ( Caltanissetta ). The reason I ask is because I notice that there is a Caltanissetta town within Caltanissetta the provence.

Also, I can not seem to locate the "Town " of Piazza Maria. Did you say the name changed ??

Thanks

http://img73.imageshack.us/img73/1032/z ... wiiau6.jpg
Michael Romano

Chi va piano va sano e va lontano

Those who go slowly, go safely and go far

Looking for family history in Piazza Armerina, Aidone, and Musomelli Sicily.
Names researching: Romano, Nigrelli, Ristagno, Piazza Maida Triolo.

vj
Master
Master

Re: Piazza Maria , Caltanissetta , Sicily

Postby vj » 15 May 2008, 21:11

From Lorenzo's manifest:
Piazza Armerina (now in Enna Province)
his WWI card is likely a misspelling

page 1 of your original post:
http://italiangenealogy.tardio.com/Foru ... =9557.html

Julo
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Julo » 15 May 2008, 23:04

Michael, do you live in Middletown? My great grandfather used to live there (Ogden Street) when he first came to the US back in the early 1900s. My grandfather was born in Middletown. Are you familiar with that area and could that have been similar to a Little Italy in NY ?

carmine1917
Elite
Elite

Postby carmine1917 » 15 May 2008, 23:38

it is Piazza Armerina and it was in the province of Caltanissetta and now its located in the province of Enna. It moved to the province of Enna around 1926

Romano1970
Master
Master

Postby Romano1970 » 16 May 2008, 01:19

Hi Micheles,

thats right I remember seeing that it your posting about the earth Quake I believe. ( DUH MIKE :roll: )

Hi , VJ.

You are mostlikely correct . Although LOL. My father wrote it as Piazza Maria as well. Coincedence ??

I have not been able to find a town by that name anywhere in Sicily. I wonder, do you think they may have refered to Piazza Maria as a neighborhood within Caltanissetta itself?? Not unlike lets say Red Hook or Canarsie Brooklyn??

HI Julo,

Yes I live in Middletown NY, and there was a very heavy population of Italians here from what I understand. To this day there are still some families that are around. You see all the old timers tending to there gardens and spraying down the sidewalks in front of their houses with waterhoses. I can find the street and take pictures for you if you like. I have to warn you though the area also has changed along with the population. The barber shop that I go to ( Courriers ) has been owned by the same family since 1928. My good friends Giovani and calogero Zodiaco run it now. And before them thier two uncles. My friends father and mother stayed in Sicily, outside of palermo.
Michael Romano

Chi va piano va sano e va lontano

Those who go slowly, go safely and go far

Looking for family history in Piazza Armerina, Aidone, and Musomelli Sicily.
Names researching: Romano, Nigrelli, Ristagno, Piazza Maida Triolo.

Return to “Italian Genealogy”