Beaumonts from the Norman Conquest?

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
tvm2

Beaumonts from the Norman Conquest?

Postby tvm2 » 22 May 2008, 03:25

These are some rather obscure leads, so I'm not sure if anyone will be able to provide me with any additional information, but the people here are very helpful and resourceful, so I think it's worth a shot.

I posted several weeks ago and I got a lot of information on my recent ancestors of the name Angelo. Recently I had taken a genealogical DNA test, only to find out (to my surprise) that my paternal Angelo ancestors from southern Italy in fact belong to a haplogroup from Scandinavia, I1a.

A helpful fellow from another forum contacted me and stated that he and I were descended from the viking Hastings, Bernard the Dane, and Humphrey de Vielles. He also suggested that I was most likely descended from the Beaumont family, Anglo-Normans of English Peerage that partook in the Norman Conquest to England and southern Italy. He expounded further to suggest that the Angelo surname could be derived from the Danish Angles.

He also asked if I knew why my great-grandfather changed his name from Angelo to Miller, and told me that Miller was a common choice for descendants of Robert de Beaumont, who was Count de Meulan.

This is probably all very complicated, but basically what I am asking is if anyone knows of any Italian families in southern Italy (especially with the surname Angelo), known to be descended from Normans, especially the Beaumonts.

Return to “Italian Genealogy”