Mortifoglio Name Change

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Morta

Mortifoglio Name Change

Postby Morta » 22 May 2008, 15:32

Hello All,

I have been doing much research on my family history & surname (Mortifoglio) and have never found much because there are no other Mortifoglios. However, recently I found some documents that show that the name was originally spelt Mirtifolio. I have been able to trace all the way back to my great great grandparents and I know that the family originally comes from Castellammare del Golfo in Sicily. I had a few questions:

1. Is this name change common?

2. Is it possible to find relatives that may still be living in Sicily or Italy today? I ask this because I may be going in a few weeks and would like to try and visit Castellammare del Golfo.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks All,
Chris

misbris
Master
Master

Re: Mortifoglio Name Change

Postby misbris » 22 May 2008, 16:10

Hi and welcome to the forum,

This site will show you that the name is very rare. There are a few people in Castellammare with that name.

http://italia.indettaglio.it/eng/cognomi/cognomi.html

And here they are!!!!

http://www.paginebianche.it/execute.cgi ... =&ind=&nc=

Hope it helps. :D :D :D

Morta

Postby Morta » 22 May 2008, 16:28

Wow... Thank you very much... I guess the name has been changed a couple of times. Are these name changes very common among Italians and Italian-Americans?

vj
Master
Master

Postby vj » 22 May 2008, 22:53

[quote=Chris]Are these name changes very common among Italians and Italian-Americans?
[/quote]

From Kimberly Powell’s genealogy blog on about.com

…surnames of many immigrants were … changed at some point after their arrival in America.
Millions of immigrants had their names changed by schoolteachers or clerks who couldn't spell or pronounce
the original surname.
Many immigrants also voluntarily changed their names, especially upon naturalization, in an attempt to
fit better into American culture

Return to “Italian Genealogy”