Writing to a Parish for ancestor names and dates.

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Bott0131

Writing to a Parish for ancestor names and dates.

Postby Bott0131 » 28 May 2008, 12:48

Hello, I have my mother's baptism and confirmation certificate from Parrocchia Santi Apostoli Pietro E Paolo in Accadia. I would like to write to the church asking for copies of any other family member documents they have have on file. What sort (cash?)of donation and how much should I send?

Are cemeteries usually near the church?

Also, I have my mother's birth certificate titled Comune di Accadia. Would I write to them for additional family research or to the province? Also, what sort (cash?) payment and how much should I send?

I was going to go to a translation site and type my request in English and have it translated into Italian. I take it this will make sense to them?

Thank you so much.

nuccia
Staff
Staff

Re: Writing to a Parish for ancestor names and dates.

Postby nuccia » 28 May 2008, 14:00

Lets try this one more time..I keep losing my posts today for some reason.

Bott0131 wrote:Hello, I have my mother's baptism and confirmation certificate from Parrocchia Santi Apostoli Pietro E Paolo in Accadia. I would like to write to the church asking for copies of any other family member documents they have have on file. What sort (cash?)of donation and how much should I send?

You can try writing to the Church. Whether or not they will help is anyone's guess. You can make a donation but be careful when sending cash. Money has been known to go missing in transit, but any other form of payment isn't suggested in my opinion. Send what you can. Anything is better than nothing but I think $20.00 should be a reasonable donation. Perhaps someone can offer their thoughts.

Bott0131 wrote:Also, I have my mother's birth certificate titled Comune di Accadia. Would I write to them for additional family research or to the province? Also, what sort (cash?) payment and how much should I send?

The Comune will provide records for family members if you have names of siblings no charge (and of course if you don't ask for several at once). If you don't, then you will need to request the Certificato storico di famiglia for your Grandparents. The Comune is not obligated to do this type of research, but if they do, they will more than likely charge for the info. I wouldn't send any money up front. I would wait for them to tell you the amount first. Mine was 5 euro's for each family memeber found (including parents) and a 10 euro genealogy tax. Each comune is different.
Bott0131 wrote:I was going to go to a translation site and type my request in English and have it translated into Italian. I take it this will make sense to them?

Thank you so much.

I would write your letter in English and ask someone here in the translation board to help translate it. The automatic translators are horrible and the standard form letters are just that..standard.

Hope this helps.
nuccia - IG Moderator
Gente di Mare
Gente Italian Genealogy Forum
Extractions of various Comuni in Reggio

Bott0131

Postby Bott0131 » 28 May 2008, 15:15

Bott0131 wrote:Hello, I have my mother's baptism and confirmation certificate from Parrocchia Santi Apostoli Pietro E Paolo in Accadia. I would like to write to the church asking for copies of any other family member documents they have have on file. What sort (cash?)of donation and how much should I send?

Also, I have my mother's birth certificate titled Comune di Accadia. Would I write to them for additional family research or to the province? Also, what sort (cash?) payment and how much should I send?

I was going to go to a translation site and type my request in English and have it translated into Italian. I take it this will make sense to them?

Thank you so much.

Italysearcher
Master
Master

Postby Italysearcher » 29 May 2008, 18:47

I suggest you write to the priest asking if there is a parishioner who would undertake to do some research for you in the parish records. Indicate that you would be willing to pay this person for their time, and/or make a donation to the parish.
There are two parishes in my area who have persons who do this.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.wordpress.com
ANNOYING THE SAINTS - Stories of my Life in Italy. http://www.lulu.com/content/paperback-b ... ly/7731505

nuccia
Staff
Staff

Postby nuccia » 29 May 2008, 19:38

Thats an excellent idea, Ann! I think I may even try that route... :D
nuccia - IG Moderator
Gente di Mare
Gente Italian Genealogy Forum
Extractions of various Comuni in Reggio

Bott0131

Postby Bott0131 » 29 May 2008, 20:01

Italysearcher wrote:I suggest you write to the priest asking if there is a parishioner who would undertake to do some research for you in the parish records. Indicate that you would be willing to pay this person for their time, and/or make a donation to the parish.
There are two parishes in my area who have persons who do this.

Thank you so much everyone. That is truly a great way to start.

Return to “Italian Genealogy”