What Info Is Contained on Birth/Marriage Record,Bellosguardo

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
angelope

What Info Is Contained on Birth/Marriage Record,Bellosguardo

Postby angelope » 28 May 2008, 17:33

Hi guys!

Whoever made this web site, THANKS A MILLION! I've never requested Italian documents from outside the US, so please be kind. :)

Okay, here goes.

My great grandfather came to this country at 14 years of age from, Bellosguardo. My hunt is to find his father's name. No one in family really knows. This would be my great great grandfather. He arrived earlier in America, without the rest of his family. I do know my great great grandmother's full name.

So, I've been thinking of trying to find either a birth certificate for my great grandfather, which could have both his mother and his father's name on it, and/or try to find my great great grandparents' marriage license. Again, this is all in hope of finding my great great grandfather's FIRST name.

My first question related to my hunt is a pretty basic one. What is on an Italian birth certificate from the 1800s? Would they have both parents' name on it? I've seen that it's been done differently in quite a number of countries including in the US, where people didn't even have to register their children until the late 1800s.

Also, how hard is it to obtain a marriage record?

Any suggestions, and I mean ANY suggestions, is most appreciated. This is just part one of some of my questions about how to go about doing this.

Thanks again!

Al

lilbees
Master
Master

Re: What Info Is Contained on Birth/Marriage Record,Bellosgu

Postby lilbees » 28 May 2008, 19:42

Do you have a little more information about your grandfather, great grandfather? Birthdate, birthplace, wife's name, etc. With additional information those on the forum can better assist you in your search.

lilbees

angelope

Postby angelope » 29 May 2008, 11:30

Okay. Here is my great grandfather's:

Alfonso Giuseppe Mauro

DOB: 07/31/1886

Birthplace: Bellosguardo, Italy

My great great grandmother, his mother:

Serafina Palomone ("Mauro" is her marriage surname)

Born: 1856

Last Place of residence: Bellosguardo, Italy

Again, this is all in hope's of finding her husband's first name, my great great grandfather. I am hoping that my great grandfather birth certificate has his father and mother listed. I don't know that much about Italian birth records, or if they even kept records at the time. Perhaps someone can enlighten my on the subject. My other interest is finding a marriage record for my great great grandmother, Serafina. Is her full maiden name enough to find a marriage registry with her husband's name? Thank you again, for all the help!

lilbees
Master
Master

Postby lilbees » 29 May 2008, 13:25

Did any of your family come to the US? If so, did you locate a passenger manifest for them? An approximate date of death, residence, anything?

If they came to the US have you lcoated any census records, death records, etc.?

lilbees
Researching: RESCIGNO, CATALANO, LA MAGRA, ANGRISANO, CALABRESE, PAGANO, GAGLIO, DE ANGELIS,COSTABILE Campania-Napoli/Salerno/Palermo, Italy and Tunisia Africa

Return to “Italian Genealogy”