Please Help received an email from Campania

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
legnoduro
Veteran
Veteran

Please Help received an email from Campania

Postby legnoduro » 30 May 2008, 14:20

Hello,
I requested a birth act of my grandmother from Pietrelcina and I just received an email stating that she does not appear to have been born there. I have the manifest of their arrival to the US and it shows they are from Pietrelcina. She also spoke about her comune to me often. I did notice on the manifest her name was spelled Giuseppa and not Giuseppina as I wrote it. Could this make a difference? I have included the email and I hope someone has a suggestion for me.

CITTA' DI PIETRELCINA(BN)
Ufficio dei Servizi demografici

Si risconta la nota del 12, maggio 2008 e si comunica che la sig.ra Giuseppina De Luca nata nel 1901, marz0 12, non risulta essere nata in questo Comune.
Distinti saluti
F.to Cosimo MOLINARA Resp.del Servizio

Thank you.
Legnoduro

legnoduro
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Please Help received an email from Campania

Postby legnoduro » 31 May 2008, 02:12

legnoduro wrote:Hello,
I requested a birth act of my grandmother from Pietrelcina and I just received an email stating that she does not appear to have been born there. I have the manifest of their arrival to the US and it shows they are from Pietrelcina. She also spoke about her comune to me often. I did notice on the manifest her name was spelled Giuseppa and not Giuseppina as I wrote it. Could this make a difference? I have included the email and I hope someone has a suggestion for me.

Si risconta la nota del 12, maggio 2008 e si comunica che la sig.ra Giuseppina De Luca nata nel 1901, marz0 12, non risulta essere nata in questo Comune.
Distinti saluti

Thank you.
Legnoduro
Does anyone have any experience with this type of situation? Did my grandmother need her birth act when she applied and became naturalized in 1944?

Legnoduro

JJOC1414
Rookie
Rookie

Postby JJOC1414 » 31 May 2008, 12:07

legnoduro,

I don't know if this will help. I was first going to suggest that sometimes it is easy to misinterpret place of last residence as the birth place, but in fact for your GM I can see they they are both Pietrelcina. If the comune there could not find her birth document, I can only suggest that she might have been born Pietrelcina but the records from that period may now be in nearby Benevento, the province capital.

As for Giuseppina and Giuseppa, it is difficult to say if that made a difference. One would expect that the person knows that Giuseppina could be a diminutive form and that, finding the same date of birth, it should have been obvious that it was the same person. But a nitpicking interpretation (in Italy this person is called pignolo, which in this case would be kindest term) could be that Giuseppina may also be the formal name. and that, seeing this, the person perhaps never even looked at the date of birth. Unfortunately, there are some people like that, so it is impossible to know for sure.

As for needing her birth document when she naturalized in 1944, I believe she would have needed it. Both she and her husband are still shown as aliens in the 1920 and 1930 census pages, so she most definitely did not obtain citizenship through her husband, as wives often did before the 1922 Cable Act. After that law, women needed to apply on their own.

suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby suanj » 31 May 2008, 14:32

legnoduro wrote:Hello,

Distinti saluti

Thank you.
Legnoduro

hmmmm on the ship's manifest Giuseppa was born and resident in Pietrelcina... as it is possible this officer reply?
you sure abt her birthdate?
please to reply to officer:
Gent.mo Ufficiale dello Stato Civile Sig. Cosimo Molinari,

ringrazio per la cortese risposta, ma dai dati in mio possesso, la mia antenata DE LUCA Giuseppa era nata a Pietrelcina (BN) il 12/03/1901 figlia di Carmine e...... (mother's birth surname) Orsola; essi sbarcarono negli USA il 22 Ottobre 1915 dalla nave "Europa" insieme a loro anche l'ultima figlia De Luca Amalia.
E' possibile che la data di nascita non sia molto corretta, nel giorno e nel mese, ma spero che si possa trovare il suo atto di nascita.
Nel ringraziare per la cortese attenzione è gradita l'occasione per porgere i più distinti saluti saluti,
..................your name
.....................your address
...................your email
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH

legnoduro
Veteran
Veteran

Postby legnoduro » 31 May 2008, 15:07

Thank you so much for the help! I do not know the maiden name of my great-grandmother, that is the reason I am sending for my grandmother's birth act. Suanj, thank you for the reply to Mr. Molinara. I will update you as soon as I hear from him.

Best regards,
legnoduro

suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby suanj » 31 May 2008, 16:14

well, so you will make :
Gent.mo Ufficiale dello Stato Civile Sig. Cosimo Molinara,

ringrazio per la cortese risposta, ma dai dati in mio possesso, la mia antenata DE LUCA Giuseppa era nata a Pietrelcina (BN) il 12/03/1901 figlia di Carmine e ...... (non so il cognome) Orsola; essi sbarcarono negli USA il 22 Ottobre 1915 dalla nave "Europa" insieme a loro anche l'ultima figlia De Luca Amalia.
E' possibile che la data di nascita non sia molto corretta, nel giorno e nel mese, ma spero che si possa trovare il suo atto di nascita.
Nel ringraziare per la cortese attenzione è gradita l'occasione per porgere i più distinti saluti saluti,
..................your name
.....................your address
...................your email
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH

Return to “Italian Genealogy”