How to proceed?

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
snowballer

How to proceed?

Postby snowballer » 31 May 2008, 14:04

Hi,
I am looking to your expertise and advice. I am in England and intend to write to the relevant comune to receive information of my wife and my children's Italian ancestors.

I think I know the name and date of birth of my wife's paternal grandfather - Giovanni Deprospo, b Savignano Irpino, 17/9/1891, that his father was called Agostino and his mother was "Vincenza Botticelli".

Having referred to Trafford R Cole's Italian Genealogical records, it appears I might ask for the Certificate of the State of the Family Act for Giovanni, knowing that he moved to Bovino where he married Michelina Brienza, but that document would not take me further back in time.

Asking for the same certificate for Agostino in Savignano would appear problematic, as he was probably born before 1870, and therefore the records would not be readily available?

Asking for Giovanni's birth certificate would not appear to give me any new information. Is it worth asking for the marriage certificate for Agostino Deprospo and Vincenza Botticelli without knowing when - or indeed where - they wed?

Can anyone recommend a course of action?

Many thanks
Rob

nuccia
Staff
Staff

Re: How to proceed?

Postby nuccia » 31 May 2008, 14:38

Hi Rob!

Welcome to the forum! I'm glad you were able to read Trafford R Cole's book. It is a wonderful reference guide and really helps you understand what you are undertaking.

Now, you say your family is from Bovino? That comune may hold the marriage banns which would include alot of information on the couple and their parents. It should include the parents birth info.

Have you tried the LDS at

www.familysearch.org

They have microfilmed the civil registrations of Bovino from 1809-1924. You could try going through the site and perhaps order the microfilms through your FHC. Try researching that way.

Which Savignano was Agostino born? I see on on the family search site there are a few.

Hope this helps a bit.
nuccia - IG Moderator
Gente di Mare
Gente Italian Genealogy Forum
Extractions of various Comuni in Reggio

snowballer

Postby snowballer » 31 May 2008, 16:56

Thanks very much Nuccia, that's good advice.

It's Savignano di Puglia/ Savignano Irpino. I see from the LDS site that similar records for this comune to those of Bovino may be available.

I've not had any experience of this process. Are you able to order any of the microfilms for viewing at your local LDS centre - in my case London?

Thanks again
Rob

nuccia
Staff
Staff

Postby nuccia » 31 May 2008, 17:04

Yes..you should be able to order them from your FHC. You will need to find one close to you.

If they are like the Centers in North America, they keep limited hours...

Hopefully this link allows you to see the FHC located in England......

http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library ... ry=England

And while you're at it, have a look at this great resource guide:

http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Search/ ... cestor.asp

a wealth of information in one guide which you can print and keep with you.

Let us know what else you may need. Lots of talented people here to help.

:)
nuccia - IG Moderator
Gente di Mare
Gente Italian Genealogy Forum
Extractions of various Comuni in Reggio

Return to “Italian Genealogy”