Carso Region of Trieste

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
lorimd

Carso Region of Trieste

Postby lorimd » 31 May 2008, 18:51

Is anyone familiar with researching families in the Carso region? I am trying to locate the exact town my great, great, great grandfather came from. His US census records indicate he was born in Carso, Trieste, Austria in 1816. Unsure of his immigration date(s) but immigrated to Boston, MA first & then settled in Gloucester, MA. I am having a hard time locating any information about him prior to his daughter's birth in Boston in 1847. I have tried new england ancestry, ancestry.com and contacted the Gloucester archives. I vacationed 2 years ago in Trieste and was told (by the hotel,lol) to look in the State Archives, however they were closed when I arrived. I am not sure if this would be the correct place to look since his birth was not in the city of Trieste and it was under Austrian control at the time. From what I can gather online, the archives also seem to hold information on the city, not necessarily families. I also contacted the province archives recently and have not heard back from them. I am planning a trip back there this August and would love to find out his exact birth town. If anyone has any information or guidance on how to research the Carso region, it would be much appreciated. TIA

Return to “Italian Genealogy”