Adoption Records Puglia

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Seraphina
Veteran
Veteran

Adoption Records Puglia

Postby Seraphina » 02 Jun 2008, 19:19

Can anyone help me with the following.

I am trying to find out about my grandfather, GIRELLI, Pompeo, who was adopted when very young. I have the names of his adoptive parents.

I am not sure where he was born or the name of the orphanage. My grandparents lived in Brindisi, Puglia.

The problem is that we assume Girelli was his birth cognome, but that is not a southern Italian name. It occurs quite frequently in the north.

Look forward to any replies with info.

Seraphina

JohnArmellino
Master
Master

Re: Adoption Records Puglia

Postby JohnArmellino » 02 Jun 2008, 21:29

Adoptions were not very common in Southern Italy. However, they did occur occasionally. In most cases the adoption record was recorded with the atti diversi. If your grandfather was actually adopted, then you will find his birth record with the atti di nati and his adoption record with the atti diversi. However, most "adopted" children were actually abandoned infants, who were placed with local families via the Infant Abandonment System that was used in Italy for hundreds of years. Under this system a child was anonymously abandoned at the ruota di proietti (commonly known as the wheel) and placed with a wet nurse, whose family often raised the child as its own. There is a chance that your grandfather was an abandoned infant rather than an adoptee.

The Civil Records for Brindisi have been filmed by the LDS for the years 1809-1888. If your grandfather was born before 1888, then you should be able to find his birth record on these films. Go to www.familysearch.com, then Library>FamilyHistoryLibraryCatalog>PlaceSearch, then type in Brindisi to see the film notes. If your grandfather was actually a proietto (abandoned infant), then the record of his "birth" would also have been kept by the comune, in either the atti di nati or the atti diversi. Check out the film notes at the above website and, if the year of your grandfather’s birth is included, order the relevant film at a Family History Center. You can find the location of the closest FHC at the same site.

PS: If your grandfather was an abandoned infant, that might explain his uncommon surname. Abandoned infants were given their names by a municipal official and sometimes surnames uncommon to the local comune were used. My great grandfather was an abandoned infant who was given the surname Armellino (a surname common to Northern Italy) by the mayor of Campobasso, a comune in Southern Italy.
John Armellino

Seraphina
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Adoption Records Puglia

Postby Seraphina » 03 Jun 2008, 05:44

Many thans, John, for your advice.

I shall do as you suggest and see what it brings up.

Thanks again.

Seraphina
UK.

Return to “Italian Genealogy”