John Genotti/NY 1920 Census

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
MaryGenottiCollins
Rookie
Rookie

John Genotti/NY 1920 Census

Postby MaryGenottiCollins » 09 Jun 2008, 16:26

Ok thanks to everyones help, I found my italian grandfather under a name spelled "Jennette" (or thereabouts) living in pa in 1920. Found another John Genotti in 1920 living in NY w/wife Jenny and several children.

Would like to track down the NY Genotti's to see if John was "one in the same" as my grandfather. 8O

I see nothing in 1910 for John Genotti/NY, Nothing in 1930 NY for John either. No listings for Jenny or any of the children either.

"IF" this was a second family to my grandfather, and they had decided to go back to Italy----where would i find such passenger listings? I'm trying to either PROVE or DISPROVE that this is my grandfather in NY.

Any advice appreciated.
Mary Genotti-Collins

Names currently researching:

Genotti, Garibaldi, Vottero

A family without a genealogy is like a country without a history.

BillieDeKid
Master
Master

Re: John Genotti/NY 1920 Census

Postby BillieDeKid » 09 Jun 2008, 17:21

Mary

Where did your grandfather end up settling.......PA or NY? What is his approximate year of birth, what was his wife's name (the wife you know to be his real wife), maiden name if possible, what year was she born, what year did your grandfather come to the US or was he born here, same question about his wife?

MaryGenottiCollins
Rookie
Rookie

Re: John Genotti/NY 1920 Census

Postby MaryGenottiCollins » 09 Jun 2008, 23:14

Hi,

He was born May 23 1886 in Bogliano, Mezzenile, Torino, Italyand came to this country in 1909 and became a citizen in 1922.

His wife (my grandmother) was Ethel Garibaldi.

1910 Census shows him as Giovanna Gionoff in Shamokin, PA (which is where the ship manifest says he was heading towards).

1920Census shows him in Raleigh County WV under the name "JENNETTE" and shows his wife Ethel and my father George.

1930 Census shows him as GENOTTE in Cambria County PA.

The other Genotti is showing in the NY census in 1920 w/different spouse and children.

A story has been told about my grandfather spending a year in prison for making moonshine......my dad remembers living w/his grandmother during this time. Since he was born in 1917 and his mother died in 1926 (and he went to the orphanage the same year)....this supposed prison term had to happen within that time frame.

I was speculating that he may not have gone to jail but may have gone to NY to be w/his other family????

Not sure but would like to know either way.

Thanks,

mary
Mary Genotti-Collins

Names currently researching:

Genotti, Garibaldi, Vottero

A family without a genealogy is like a country without a history.

Return to “Italian Genealogy”