Forum rules?

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
miller1969

Forum rules?

Post by miller1969 »

What are the forum rules for people with access to pay sites sharing info from those sites on this board? Is it okay? Do we go by "it's my money, I'll spend it however I want"? Thanks.
JamesBianco
Staff
Staff

Re: Forum rules?

Post by JamesBianco »

Of course you can share anything you like, from any resource you have access to! We all do it in order to assist people here.

Right VJ? (wink)

:D
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

JamesBianco wrote:Of course you can share anything you like, from any resource you have access to! We all do it in order to assist people here.

Right VJ? (wink)

:D
Absolutely James :D !
I agree.
I believe Edmondo spent considerable time looking into
this as a possible issue several years ago, he has said it's
no problem.
When in doubt, it never hurts to cite sources and use quotes
if appropriate.
Valarie
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Hate to jump in here so late, but just thought I should mention that I researched this thoroughly a couple of years ago (for Edmondo and another forum) and this is the outcome...

Members may use links from paid for sites such as ancestry to share information or post on their own websites since the records are pubic domain. BUT, having said that, sites such as ancestry own the compilation and people may not duplicate the compilation under the copyright act but can use SOME of the records (but not all). Their is also an option on ancestry to send an email to a friend with the copy of the record so this is allowed obviously!

Now, I have been in contact with the legal department at My Generations.com and have obtained information and permission first hand to what is acceptable and what isn't. I can share what I have or posters may contact the site directly to get their own information. The number is on the site.

Hope this helps. :)
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
Essgee
Master
Master

Post by Essgee »

Nuccia............

It would help if you would tell us exactly what is acceptable and what isn't. That way we would all know and not be guessing.

Thanks for the offer!!!!!
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

essgee.....

I just did. You may post records as they are free domain..(you may not post the compilation...they own that.) That would include any graphics, designs or layout they have. It may or may not include how may records a person posts about a certain individual. That is at the discretion of ancestry.We may also post any newsletters we receive from them. That is EXACTLY how it was explained to me.

Perhaps this will help clarify things a bit more:

http://www.tgn.com/default.aspx?html=copyright

I may not have all the answers but I can help answer specific questions so feel free to ask and I'll try. I will tell you if I don't know the answer in which case, there is an address and fax number where you can contact The Generation Network Directly.
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
Essgee
Master
Master

Post by Essgee »

Thank you for the explanation and for providing the link. It does clear up some questions and I really appreciate your input.

The link does provide additional info that everyone should read.

Hope you have a great evening!