Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.

Postby jjulian14712 » 12 Jun 2008, 11:37

Now that I have the search for my grandfather down to several options, I'm curious about the fact that at least two of the names that might be him have been crossed out on the manifest, and one of them has the word "DEPORTED" stamped to the left of his name.

Does anyone know exactly what was involved with deportation, and what may have caused it? Is it possible that it was because he was a teenager traveling alone, without any relatives in America? Also, was the person usually sent back immediately, or detained at Ellis Island? Is it possible to have been detained for as long as nine months? If so, would the person be listed on a later manifest?

The answers may help me work out which name is my grandfather.

Jeff Julian

Re: Deported?

Postby nuccia » 12 Jun 2008, 12:41

Yes, its very possible that he would be deported because of lack of money or support. Manifests would include such markings as LPC (likely Public Charge) agmong other markings.

Keep in mind he could have been sick at the time, or small for his age, or meek or ... there are numerous things. Its not actually that something was wrong with him, but what they THOUGHT was wrong that would cause the deportation.
nuccia - IG Moderator
Gente di Mare
Gente Italian Genealogy Forum
Extractions of various Comuni in Reggio

Re: Deported?

Postby Poipuo4 » 12 Jun 2008, 15:10

My grandmother was held on Ellis Island for 3 months due to illness and marked for deportation. Luckily, she was too sick to travel so they let her stay in the US. There should be another page to the manifest that lists people who were detained. They appeared before the board of special inquiry and in my grandmother's case, they appealed. You ancestor may have gone along the same route, although it was rare for people to appeal.

Check out this link (above). It will list how many meals your relative was served while detained and then you can figure out how long they were held.

dedicated to the people of Celenza Valfortore, Province of Foggia

Return to “Italian Genealogy”