Antonio Lio (b. 1869) of Serrastretta

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
fjrosaio

Antonio Lio (b. 1869) of Serrastretta

Post by fjrosaio »

Anyone else out there researching the surname LIO in Serrastretta (Catanzaro, Calabria)?

I am searching for parents, etc. for Antonio LIO, b. ca. 1869 in Serrastretta. I know he had at least one older brother, Francesco LIO (b. ca. 1861/62).

I have the Ellis ship manifests for Antonio and Francesco, they both ended up in Philadelphia, PA. Antonio's first wife was Maria ????. He married her in Serrastretta and their eldest child, Raffaela, was born there on 18 Feb 1898. Their other children (Joseph, Filomena, Frank & Charles) were all born in Philadelphia.

Antonio's wife Maria died in Philadelphia on 25 Mar 1908 and he remarried shortly thereafter to Palma Molinaro (d/o Vincenzo & Teresa Gigliotti). Antonio and Palma had: Mary, Theresa, Vincent, John.

Anyone else out there know anything about Antonio's origins in Serrastretta?

Thanks - Frank
Biff83
Master
Master

Re: Antonio Lio (b. 1869) of Serrastretta

Post by Biff83 »

Hello, Frank and Welcome!

Have you written to the comune of Serrastretta to request Antonio's records--birth and marriage act? These acts will include his parents' names as well as Maria's maiden name and her parents' names as well. It's important that you request copies of the birth acts and NOT extracts.

Another option to determine Antonio's parents' names would be to request copies of Antonio and Palma Molinaro's marriage application if you know the county/city where they were married. The marriage application contains more detail than the marriage license.

Biff
"Mintammicce impizzu mpizzu ca pue largu minne fazzu sule!"
JamesBianco
Staff
Staff

Post by JamesBianco »

I do not have your surname but my great-grandmother Caterina Scalise was born in Serrastretta in 1887, daughter of Antonio Scalise and Francesca Mazzei. I have been uploading Serrastretta original Marriage publication records to my friend Cathy's website "The Catanzaro Exchange"

To date we have up 1810, and 1843 through 1860. If you discover the parents of your ancestor perhaps their marriage will be included in these records. You should really check out her site, we also have the Hamlet of San Michele (Frazione di Serrastretta) and soon will include also Angoli (Frazione di Serrastretta).

Here is the Link:

The Catanzaro Exchange - Serrastretta Records

Jim :D
fjrosaio

Post by fjrosaio »

Biff & James,

Thank you both for your helpful replies.

Biff - I have not attempted to contact the town hall in Serrastretta as yet. I have admittedly only been casually perusing for information about Antonio Lio and family for a cousin of mine (this is her paternal line). I looked for Antonio and Palma's marriage in Philadelphia with no luck, next I'll try for his death certificate in the hopes that parents are listed....then perhaps try a request to the town hall in Serrastretta for Antonio's birth act.

James - thanks very much for pointing me to the Catanzara Exchange site! These records will no doubt prove extremely useful after I'm able to bridge the gap between Antonio (b. 1869) and the earlier records!

My own personal family lines are in the town of Giusvalla, which is located in the province of Savona (Liguria)....an area thus far much neglected by the Mormon record-copiers!

Thanks again for all the help!

Frank
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

Antonio's wife Maria died in Philadelphia on 25 Mar 1908 and he remarried shortly thereafter to Palma Molinaro
I looked for Antonio and Palma's marriage in Philadelphia with no luck

May have been in 1907:
Marriage License Index

from FamilySearch Labs
Biff83
Master
Master

Post by Biff83 »

Hi, Valarie :D !

Possible Palma Molinaro manifest, line 19
Page 1
Page 2
Name: Palma Molinaro
Arrival Date: 25 Apr 1910
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1883
Port of Departure: Naples, Italy
Ethnicity/Race­/Nationality: Italian (South) (Italian)
Ship Name: Florida
Port of Arrival: New York, New York
Last residence: Feroleto, likely Feroleto Antico
Nearest relative in Italy: father Vincenzo in Feroleto Antico
Place of birth: Accaria, a hamlet (frazione) of Serrastretta
Destination: Philadelphia to join bridegroom Antonio Lio

Wonder if there were two Antonio Lio's in Philadelphia who married wives with the surname Molinaro--there are two other Antonio Lio's from Serrastretta on the same manifest as Palma. Also wonder if the Francesco Lio on the list you posted could be Antonio's brother.

Biff
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

Hey Biff :D !
You're right, maybe cousins!
Valarie
Biff83
Master
Master

Post by Biff83 »

vj wrote:Hey Biff :D !
You're right, maybe cousins!
Valarie
And the Philly Lio's likely
had cousins in my hometown. A number of Lio's and other families from Serrastretta settled in Carbondale.

Biff
fjrosaio

Post by fjrosaio »

VJ - Thanks for the marriage license link. I have a copy of the 1907 license for "Antonio Lio" to "Antonia Molinaro," which happens to be a coincidence of names as "my" Antonio Lio married Palma Molinaro (his first wife Maria died in Philadelphia in 1908).

So there were definitely two Antonio Lio's in Philadelphia around the same time...and both married women by the name of Molinaro.

What caught my eye on the marriage index, however, was the listing for Francesco Lio, whose wife was Teresa Bilotta. We know that Francesco was Antonio's brother, so by obtaining his marriage license to Teresa I may be able to learn the parents' names.

Biff - the Ellis manifest is definitely "my" Palma Molinaro. Her parents were Vincenzo Molinaro and Teresa Gigliotti.

These are great leads, thanks very much, I appreciate all the help!

Frank
walshtomj

Post by walshtomj »

Hi,

I have Lios from Serrastretta in my family tree. My line goes back to Dominick Lio (5th ggrandfather) through Serafino Lio, Gaetano Lio and my 2nd ggrandmother Maria Antonia Lio. There were several Lios in Serrastretta at the time, but I believe they were all related (although I have yet to make all of the connections). Giuseppe Lio had many children. He was probably Gaetano's brother/cousin but I have yet to make the connection. I do not have my family tree in front of me (on my work computer right now), but when I get home I will post more information.

-T.
RizRich

Post by RizRich »

I know this thread is very old but I thought I would give this a try. In 1913 my grandmother, Filomena Molinari, immigrated to Philadelphia, PA from Serrastretta. She arrived here with her mother, Angelina Scalise and Palma Molinari. I do not know the relationship with Palma, but it appears that there is some familial relationship. In the 1930 Census I have Palma listed with the residents of the Philadelphia Hospital for Mental Disease. In the 1920 Census Palma is listed as the sister of Angelina Molinari. I think she may actually be the sister-in-law.

Is there any relationship here?