ferrero-Aprato family

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
lino43

ferrero-Aprato family

Postby lino43 » 16 Jun 2008, 15:56

Doe's anybody have any information regarding the Ferrero-Aprato family in Piedmont during the mid to late 1800s. Reference the following names.
Giovanni Ferrero-Aprato son of Francesco Ferrero-Aprato.
Marta Fererro-Aprato c1860 daughter of the above Giovanni.
Believed to be from Ivrea.Parish of San grato. :?:
Would be most gratefull for any information

BillieDeKid
Master
Master

Re: ferrero-Aprato family

Postby BillieDeKid » 16 Jun 2008, 18:04

Hi lino43 the LDS has films covering the years 1676-1899 for church records. Births, deaths and marriages.

http://www.familysearch.org/eng/Library ... siastici++

Find a center and go in to order the films
http://www.familysearch.org/eng/Library ... et_fhc.asp

If you have any questions post back and someone on the forum can help you.

If you order the films and you need help translating the content save the images and post to the translation forum on the site and someone will be able to help.

lino43

Postby lino43 » 20 Jun 2008, 15:01

Thank you for your help and advice. I found the family name on my great
grandmothers wedding to my great grandfather c1882 San Grato parish church.Ivrea.Torino.
But the handwriting on the original form is hardly legible as are the signature's have a suspicion that her fathers family name was Ferrero and that the Aprato could possibley be her mothers maiden surname.It doesnt help that my great grandad Giovanni Colosso c1857 was illiterate.
His record on family search showed him down as Gioanni Colosso and his mother as Antonio Trovero .not Antonia Trevero
sometimes this geneology can drive you nuts.
Once again thank you for the links you provided me will get stuck in.
Regards Lino :)

Maurizio
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Maurizio » 27 Jun 2008, 10:24

Hi Lino.
All the surnames you mentioned are absolutely typical of the Canavese area (province of Turin).
COLOSSO is one of the historical surnames of the town of Ivrea.
About FERRERO-APRATO, it'is a case of double surname absolutely not uncommon in this part of Italy: but you have to consider it as a whole to identify a family (currently, Italian white pages reports a dozen of "Ferrero-Aprato", all residing in or around Ivrea).
TROVERO is a surname originally coming from the village of Caravino, not too far from Ivrea.
Hope this helps.
Ciao,
Maurizio

lino43

Postby lino43 » 25 Jul 2008, 20:24

Maurizio wrote:Hi Lino.
All the surnames you mentioned are absolutely typical of the Canavese area (province of Turin).
COLOSSO is one of the historical surnames of the town of Ivrea.
About FERRERO-APRATO, it'is a case of double surname absolutely not uncommon in this part of Italy: but you have to consider it as a whole to identify a family (currently, Italian white pages reports a dozen of "Ferrero-Aprato", all residing in or around Ivrea).
TROVERO is a surname originally coming from the village of Caravino, not too far from Ivrea.
Hope this helps.
Ciao,
Maurizio
Maurizio
Thank you for the information.While trying to trace my nonno's family (colosso) the records all seem to come from San Gratto.San Bernardo.Earlier records 1798 to 1824 are from Barone Torino.Giuseppe Colosso c1798. Could I ask you what context do you mean historical ref Colosso surname and Ivrea.Forgive me if I sound naive but I was born in U.K. and regret not knowing anything about my Piedmontese./Canavese roots.A situation I am trying to rectify. all be it late in life.I remember my grandfather spoke a really odd dialect when talking to my Nonna .I have since considered the possibility that it was occitan.Would that make any sense?
Also the records on my great grand mothers side start off as Aprato (male) who married a Ferrero. after that they are shown as either Aprato-Ferrero or Ferrero-Aprato.
The more I reshearch my family. the more I feel proud to be desended from this particular area of Italy.
Thank you for taking the time to repl;y to my request for information.
Ciao
Lino

Maurizio
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Maurizio » 26 Jul 2008, 09:52

Hi, Lino.
Forgive my bad command of English: "historical" wasn't probably the best translation in your language for what I meant, i.e. that Colosso is a surname absolutely typical of the town of Ivrea. I heard it mentioned several times and I'm aware of a couple of business agencies managed by people with this surname in Ivrea, what made me think its roots here are very deeply planted in the past: however, I'm not aware of precise evidences of its presence in the town's history.
As for your gparents's, some of the valleys in which is divided the portion of Alps surroinding the Canavese area actually had in the past an Occitan language (Franco-Provençal, to be more exact). But, in the area of Ivrea, what was spoken is the piemontese dialect, which has many sounds much more similar to French than to Italian. Maybe, that's what made odd their conversation to your ears.
Hope this helps. I'll be happy to try and give you some more hints if you want (in that case, just consider that I'll be away - from here and from Internet - for the next 2-3 weeks).
Ciao,
Maurizio

lino43

Postby lino43 » 26 Jul 2008, 11:19

Hi Maurizo
Your command of English is 1000 times more than my Italian.What you said reference Piemontese dialect ref French/Italian .Explains why my father who was born in Burolo my nonna Giulia Billia,s village. but went to a french school in england now makes sense. It also explains his ability to speak Italian. french.English.Also spanish for some reason!!
It seemed hilarious to me that with a name like Colosso my g.father who was only 5ft 1inch tall and my father 5ft 2inch tall .
The information you have supplied has been a great help in my quest to understand and find out more about where my origins stem from .As having the name Lino Colosso and it not being anglasized as was the fashion during the 1940's when I was born.Led me to find out more about my Italian/Piemontese roots.
If you are on holiday for the next 3 weeks.I hope you have a great time.Once again many thanks for your help.
Regards Lino

spiderpigv3

Postby spiderpigv3 » 21 Feb 2010, 16:48

Hi there!
I am portuguese, and my family name is Ferrero-Aprato. My father is from Ivrea, Piemonte. If you can, lino43, please send me a message, i would be happy to share with you my family tree (wich includes Colosso's) and some old photos of our family. Please send a message to my account.

agostinafa

Postby agostinafa » 16 Sep 2010, 03:41

Hello Lino! I'm agostina, i'm ferrero aprato, i live in argentina my grand grand father lived in piadmont....i wait x ur ansewer....byeee

lino43

Postby lino43 » 16 Sep 2010, 14:09

Hi Agostina
I have sent you an email in reply
Look forward to hearing from you.
Lino

Return to “Italian Genealogy”