I dont think there,s anyone on here who can help

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
tenby
Rookie
Rookie

I dont think there,s anyone on here who can help

Postby tenby » 18 Jun 2008, 08:46

I will give all the infomation I have got, here goes. I am trying to find out anything about Carlo Besselo my ggrandfather he was born in 1851 Pognana Lario, he had one brother and one sister who became a nun sorry I dont know there names? I know this as my cousin went to Pognana about 20 years ago but thats all he has, Carlo came to Wales UK on a boat employed as a ships donkeyman he met my ggrandmother Mary Perry and married her in 1887 in Cardiff on their Marriage cert it says that Carlos father was also Carlo Besselo and proffesion carrier in Italy. They had my grandmother in 1889 Carol is not on any UK census so I guess he was at sea at the time. My grandmothers name was Olivetta she told the family in later years that she remembers Carlo saying to her that he was leaving, this was when she was around 3 years of age he said he loved her very much but he had to go. Nobody knows where he went its all such a mystery. I know there are Carol Basselos to be found but the surname is different and the dates dont add up.The surname I have is correct.

I look forward to hearing from anybody who can help

Regards
Tenby

suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: I dont think there,s anyone on here who can help

Postby suanj » 18 Jun 2008, 09:38

I believe this is your ancestor:
New York Passenger Lists, 1820-1957
about Carlo Bessolo
Name: Carlo Bessolo
Arrival Date: 4 Jun 1898
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1856
Port of Departure: Liverpool, England

Ethnicity/Race­/Nationality: Swiss
Ship Name: Etruria
Search Ship Database: View the Etruria in the 'Passenger Ships and Images' database
Port of Arrival: New York, New York
Line: 4
Microfilm Serial: 15
Microfilm Roll: T715_23
Page Number: 53
seaman profession
http://img84.imageshack.us/img84/4021/1 ... carbc7.jpg
the nationality is swiss, but many immigrants coming from Como area declaring switzerland as nationality, this for local history .....
regards, suanj
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH

tenby
Rookie
Rookie

Postby tenby » 18 Jun 2008, 12:16

Suanji

Thank you so much I have been researching Carlo for 6 years and have never seen anything about him, so my ggrandmother was pregnant when he went over to America as my grandmother was born January 1889 is there anyway I can find out why he went to America.

Regards

Lynne

suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby suanj » 18 Jun 2008, 13:33

in the ship's manifest is wrote that all peoples was resident for the last 5 weeks in Manchester; also Carlo was in the USA(Washington?) in the 1898 also( he was a seaman) and he going in Brooklyn, NY, USA in 37 Fulton st, from a friend.... unreadable name.... in 1900 census of States I cannot find it...

another person, seaman, with similar name but not same birthyear is:

Oregon Passenger and Crew Lists, 1888-1957
about Carlo Bassoli
Name: Carlo Bassoli
Arrival Date: 7 Sep 1907
BirthDate: abt 1872
Race/Nationality: Italian (North) (Italian)
Ship Name: Kalamo
Port of Departure: Sydney, Australia Via San Francisco, California
Port of Arrival: Astoria, Oregon
Last Residence: Italy
Microfilm Roll Number: M1777_5

however I believe that you can ask the military service card in Como State Archive; it are the documents for men born from 1842 to 1906

"D i s t r e t t o m i l i t a r e d i C o m o , regg. 937 e bb. 1.430 (classi 1842-1906). Elenco di versamento.
Ruoli matricolari relativi ai nati negli ex distretti di Como e Lecco. Fogli matricolari.Fascicoli personali."
email here:
http://www.archivi.beniculturali.it/UCB ... ?nome=COMO and you can ask the photocopy of " Ruolo Matricolare di BESSELO Carlo nato a Pognano Lario tra il 1850 e il 1856"....

regards, suanj
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH

tenby
Rookie
Rookie

Postby tenby » 19 Jun 2008, 09:21

Suanj
Thank you for the above link could you please tell me which email address I write to as there are two, is it ok to write in english as I cannot speak a word of Italian.

regards

Lynne

suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby suanj » 19 Jun 2008, 10:13

the first is the archive email, the second is the archive director email; it is same thing because however the archivist that open your email after give your email to director.... normally is better the first email address, and you can write so:
Oggetto: fotocopia Ruolo Matricolare di BESSELO Carlo nato a Pognano Lario (CO) tra il 1850 e il 1856.
Gent.mo Direttore,
mi chiamo.................(your name) e sono cittadina inglese di origini italiane, discendente di:
-BESSELO Carlo nato a Pognano Lario (CO) tra il 1850 e il 1856.
Egli era imbarcato sulle navi e si stabilì in Inghilterra dove si sposò ed ebbe una figlia.
Con la presente, gent.mo Direttore, richiedo quanto in oggetto al fine di conoscere, a fini genealogia familiare, la sua data di nascita e i nomi dei suoi genitori.
In attesa di riscontro e di conoscere eventuali spese dovute e modalità di rimessa, mi è gradita l'occasione per porgere i miei più distinti saluti,
...............your name
....................your complete address
.....your email
---------------------------------------------------------------
after they by email let you know if they found the document, and the cost( photocopies cost and coupon cost) and you must send the payment as they wish(normally, for Como, in the envelope, because are abt 4-5 euros) and after the receiving they send you all... ok? regrads, suanj
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH

suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby suanj » 19 Jun 2008, 10:13

the first is the archive email, the second is the archive director email; it is same thing because however the archivist that open your email after give your email to director.... normally is better the first email address, and you can write so:
Oggetto: fotocopia Ruolo Matricolare di BESSELO Carlo nato a Pognano Lario (CO) tra il 1850 e il 1856.
Gent.mo Direttore,
mi chiamo.................(your name) e sono cittadina inglese di origini italiane, discendente di:
-BESSELO Carlo nato a Pognana Lario (CO) tra il 1850 e il 1856.
Egli era imbarcato sulle navi e si stabilì in Inghilterra dove si sposò ed ebbe una figlia.
Con la presente, gent.mo Direttore, richiedo quanto in oggetto al fine di conoscere, a fini genealogia familiare, la sua data di nascita e i nomi dei suoi genitori.
In attesa di riscontro e di conoscere eventuali spese dovute e modalità di rimessa, mi è gradita l'occasione per porgere i miei più distinti saluti,
...............your name
....................your complete address
.....your email
---------------------------------------------------------------
after they by email let you know if they found the document, and the cost( photocopies cost and coupon cost) and you must send the payment as they wish(normally, for Como, in the envelope, because are abt 4-5 euros) and after the receiving they send you all... ok? regards, suanj
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH

tenby
Rookie
Rookie

Postby tenby » 19 Jun 2008, 15:46

Thank you Suanj I will now have ago

Regards

Lynne

tenby
Rookie
Rookie

Postby tenby » 20 Jun 2008, 09:49

I was wondering the man you have found on the passenger list his surname is Bessolo not Besselo do you think its just a language barrier.

Regards

Lynne

suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby suanj » 20 Jun 2008, 10:52

yes, it is possible, and frankly no much people with this name, and seaman profession was in Uk, so I believe that can be he... regards, suanj
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH

tenby
Rookie
Rookie

Postby tenby » 01 Jul 2008, 08:01

Now I m confused just recieved the marriage certificate for Mary and Carlo and his surname is Bossolo I googled the map for Lombardia and could see that there are still a few families living there with the same name. At one point last week looking for the surname Bessolo I thought I found him in Scarmagno on familysearch.com got all excited now I dont know what to do.

A very confused Lynne

tenby
Rookie
Rookie

Postby tenby » 01 Jul 2008, 08:17

I ve just put Bossolo on the white pages and there are 5 surnames the same in Lombardia as I cannot speak Italian (wish I could) does it mean you can also email them.

Regards

Lynne

suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby suanj » 01 Jul 2008, 08:34

Lynne the surname on marriage act is wrote maybe right or maybe wrong... it is necessary to find the italian correct spelling of surname, because it exist many similar surnames....regards, suanj
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH

tenby
Rookie
Rookie

Postby tenby » 01 Jul 2008, 09:53

suanj

how do i go about doing that

lynn

suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby suanj » 01 Jul 2008, 10:22

hmmm.. the town name: Pognana Lario... as you know it? family memories or other?
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH

Return to “Italian Genealogy”