Organizing your research?

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.

Organizing your research?

Postby MaryGenottiCollins » 19 Jun 2008, 00:28

How do you organize your research? I've got most of mine in binders on a book shelf by family name....but am in the process of scanning "original" documents and storing them on a thumb drive by family name as well.

Also have some in files in file boxes etc.........

I also use family tree maker software and am planning on purchasing the new updated version.

How do you do it?
Mary Genotti-Collins

Names currently researching:

Genotti, Garibaldi, Vottero

A family without a genealogy is like a country without a history.

Re: Organizing your research?

Postby nuccia » 19 Jun 2008, 05:09

There are so many different ways of organizing your research. Everyone will give you a different answer so I can tell you what works for me.

I also use binders labeled by Family Surnames and I start each one with a Pedigree Sheet that I print from my Software Program (I also use Family Tree Maker). Then I create a Family Group Sheet for each family. Behind each one I include photocopies of any documents which pertains to that family. I only use acid free paper and plastic holders as well. I include a research log too so I know where I have already looked and what letters I sent out and to who.

Then I have filing cabinet. Everyone is filed by alphabetical order and I again include any info on that person in the file. I number each file and I have index cards to correspond. I take the index cards with me when I research so that I don't have to lug around binders or file folders and they slip into my purse or briefcase easily. I jot down any notes, microfilms, sources etc on my index cards and when I get back from the FHC (or wherever I happen to be) I transfer and update the info into my files and software program.

I also have file folders with copies of my websites, codes, or any special papers I have collected over the years. The one thing I also learned is to back EVERYTHING UP! I email my research to an email I have just for this and I also make a few back up discs each month. I store one in my safe deposit box (with any original documents again in acid free paper) and I give a copy each to my sister and brother. I lost a lot of my research last year when my PC crashed three times and I am never going to make that mistake again.

Seems like a lot of work but it keeps me organized.
nuccia - IG Moderator
Gente di Mare
Gente Italian Genealogy Forum
Extractions of various Comuni in Reggio

Return to “Italian Genealogy”