Trying for dual citizenship - Need information on Grandfathe

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
agatto2

Trying for dual citizenship - Need information on Grandfathe

Postby agatto2 » 27 Jun 2008, 15:55

Hi All --

My name it Tony Gatto . My wife and I are trying to figure out if we are eligible for Italian Citizenship . So far I a birth certificate the name is either anthony gatto or antonio gato ( i have not seen the name yet my aunt is faxing me a copy). He was born in Italy collesano , sicilly , Palerno on august 10th 1910 . My great grandfather and grandmother and my grandfather arrived here on April 7 1914 . What i am trying to figure out is if he was naturalized. I seem to keep getting the run around from websites out there. I did email Patrick at the nara in ny so i should hear back from him in a few days. So my questions are 1 - can anybody here do a quick search and come up with more information on my grandfather . #2 Does any body know how long it would take to get Italian Citizenship if we are eligible , along with what papers are we ( me , my wife , my children.)going to need ? Thanks in advance Regards Tony PS - hope this is the right forum

JamesBianco
Staff
Staff

Re: Trying for dual citizenship - Need information on Grandf

Postby JamesBianco » 27 Jun 2008, 16:48

You failed to mention the name of Anthony Gatto's parents so that we can determine if his father naturalized. If his father naturalized before his son Anthony (born 1910) was 21 years old, his son would also naturalize and his offspring could not re-claim Italian Citizenship via Juris Sanguinis.

So the most important thing is to determine when (and if) his parents became citizens, or if he did himself.

Let us know their names and we'll see what we can come up with.

Jim

vj
Master
Master

Postby vj » 27 Jun 2008, 16:54

JamesBianco wrote:So the most important thing is to determine when (and if) his parents became citizens, or if he did himself.
Jim

If this is the correct manifest:
page 1
page 2
There is a possible naturalization notation for Antonino
5A 16349 4-27-43

manifest markings
---

If these are the correct census records, 1930 indicates
both parents & Antonio are naturalized

page 2

---

possible 1918 WWI Draft Registration Card
Indicates Giovanni started the naturalization process

agatto2

Postby agatto2 » 30 Jun 2008, 14:24

Thanks again James for your efforts

Looking at the census -- It is def my family . I don't get where you think they are naturalized though ? The column for Nat. is marked with a na - and the one for speaking English is clearly marked with a yes .

I also noticed that the Ships manifest has the current spelling of our last name but in the Falconer census the name is marked gaito or gaeto .

I kinda figure from the manifest that my GFather did naturalize in 1943 somwhere in niagara county ny . They were living in Niagara Falls then , and i was born there so i could use a clue on how to find those records there , as always any help i appriciated. regards Tony

JamesBianco
Staff
Staff

Postby JamesBianco » 30 Jun 2008, 18:06

agatto2 wrote:Thanks again James for your efforts

I believe you meant to thank Valarie (VJ).

:)

mler
Master
Master

Postby mler » 30 Jun 2008, 18:13

NA = Naturalized
AL = Alien
PA = Papers filed for Natualization, but not finalized

JamesBianco
Staff
Staff

Postby JamesBianco » 30 Jun 2008, 19:23

From speaking to The Italian Consulate in Boston two weeks ago, the age of majority for an Italian born child (in regards to the age he must attain in order to be exempted from his father's naturalization) is 21.

What this means is that IF a child is born in Italy and his/her father becomes a US Citizen before the child's 21st birthday that child will naturalize with his father and lose any rights to Italian Citizenship.

I had understood it was 18, but the consulate corrected me.

Hopefully your Gatto ancestor waited until 1931 to Naturalize or else his son (born in 1910) would have (involuntarily) forfeited his citizenship rights. Based on the 1930 census, it appears they were already Naturalized. The son was still a minor, which means his descendants are not eligible via Juris Sanguinis.

Jim

Return to “Italian Genealogy”