Padula, Catania, Italy, Confusing

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
whymse
Rookie
Rookie

Padula, Catania, Italy, Confusing

Postby whymse » 30 Jun 2008, 09:13

Hello all,

I found interesting data on the familysearch.org site, but there is no supporting data (so I can't order film from the LDS family research centers).

All the data lines up with what I believe to be my Italian relatives, but the Italian location seems to be odd and I'm hoping someone more knowledgeable in Italian comunes could help me.

With vj's help from the forum I believe my GGGF is Michele/Michael Valiante/Valiando married to Antonio/Antonia with two Italian born sons Pasquale and James.

familysearch.org shows:
Michael Valiando OR Valiante - Born 12 Mar 1856 Padula, , Catania, Italy
Antonia Mary Francessa Mura - Born 13 Jun 1858 Padula, , Catania, Italy
Pasquela Valiante - Born before 1881 Padula, , Catania, Italy

It also shows Antonia Mary Francessa Mura married to Michael Valiando OR Valiante ~1880 Padula, , Catania, Italy.

It shows Antonia Mary Francessa Mura's parents are Gaetano Mura and Ursala Muara.
It shows Michael Valiando OR Valiante's parents are Pasqaule Valiante and Rose Coula.

All that being said, "Padula, , Catania, Italy" makes no sense to me. From google Padula appears to be a commune in Napoli and Catania appears to be in Sicily.
Does anyone have a suggestion where this could be? I wish the LDS site had supporting data, but the birthdates and family structure seems spot on, but their location makes no sense to me.

I would like to write to the commune requesting four documents:
Michael Valiante/Valiando's birth certificate
Antonia Mary Fracessa Mura's birth certificate
Pasquale Valiante (son of Michael and Antonia)'s birth certificate
Michael and Antonia's marriage certificate

Sorry for the long description.

Any help is very appreciated.

Thanks.

BillieDeKid
Master
Master

Re: Padula, Catania, Italy, Confusing

Postby BillieDeKid » 30 Jun 2008, 13:34

These are the Padula's that the LDS has films for.

Padula
Italy, Padula, Salerno, Campania (Civil records 1866-1910)
Italy, Padula, Teramo, Abruzzo (Civil records 1810-1855)

I think your best option might be to order the following film for marriages and look for a marriage

Topic Italy, Salerno, Padula - Civil registration

Titles Registri dello stato civile, 1866-1910 Padula (Salerno). Ufficio dello stato civile

And this film to look for the birth of Pasquale

Nati 1906-1910; Pubblicazioni 1866-1910; Matrimoni 1866-1910; Morti 1866-1868 FHL INTL Film

If you can not find the marriage and the birth you know to be true on the films then you can try writing
to Padula, Teramo and ask for a search of the records. The films for Padula, Teramo won't include any information for the dates you have right now.

I had searched for manifest's (regarding your first post) and have come up empty handed.

Maybe another forum member will have other suggestions for you.

uantiti
Elite
Elite

Postby uantiti » 30 Jun 2008, 15:53

Hi,
Don't know if this could help.
Catania might have been confused with "Campania", the region where Padula is located.
Family names VALIANTE, COLA and MORA exist in the Salerno province (same province of Padula) but not Valiando Muara and Coula, they don't sound Italian. MURA exists in Italy (it's a Sardinian family name....but you never know)
Also correct first names are: MICHELE / ANTONIA MARIA FRANCESCA/ PASQUALE / URSULA / ROSA /.

Seraphina
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Seraphina » 30 Jun 2008, 18:04

There is a frazione (small village or hamlet) just north of Catania city called Badala. Perhaps you shouldn't discount this place.

Hope this is not a red herring.

Seraphina

whymse
Rookie
Rookie

Postby whymse » 03 Jul 2008, 00:54

Thanks all for your assistance. I have been told by a cousin that Padula is correct, so I have sent a request to the Stato Civile in Padula, Salerno, and I hope they have my relatives on file.

I'll let you all know how it works out. Again, thanks for the help, it was invaluable.

DougBowker

Postby DougBowker » 12 Sep 2010, 15:06

My mother Patricia (Padula) Bowker's father was born in Padula, Italy. It is a small town near Rome. He was the eldest of eleven children. She thinks his father was Louis Padula.

I noticed you mentioned the LDS site. My father was related to one of Brigham Young's wives (Martha Bowker Young). She was a Philadelphia Quakeress who met him when she was older. When she decided to go west with him, he married her for propriety's sake, although there was no romantic love. She was elderly and infirm(?).

Return to “Italian Genealogy”