LDS Films---what can they do for me?

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
MaryGenottiCollins
Rookie
Rookie

LDS Films---what can they do for me?

Postby MaryGenottiCollins » 02 Jul 2008, 03:09

I ordered three films and went in today to view them. Starting on the first film I started having "HITS" right away...so what is my problem? The microfische reader is junk.....i can barely read the document and printing was a disaster....

The printed copies are so dark and fuzzy that no words can be made out.

Can someone tell me what they've done to get around this obvious problem?? :?
Mary Genotti-Collins

Names currently researching:

Genotti, Garibaldi, Vottero

A family without a genealogy is like a country without a history.

JamesBianco
Staff
Staff

Re: LDS Films---what can they do for me?

Postby JamesBianco » 02 Jul 2008, 12:21

Unfortunately a lot of these Stato Civile records were microfilmed in the 1960s and 70's (some before that). The technology was nothing like it is now, and when a page had discoloration, often in the copy process it became black.

I am not sure if your center has a microfilm scanner, but if it does, often by making high quality scans you can read the difficult pages.

Remember, not every year is going to be as bad as what you have experienced so far. Some are likely to be beautiful.

The LDS Church has provided an amazing resource to us, there is no "getting around" what is on the microfilm, it is what it is. If we are lucky enough to find a town with readable/printable clear records then we are fortunate, if they are in the condition you describe, there is little that can be done, apart from hiring someone in Italy to go to the Arvivio for that Province and copy selected records for you.

You have to remember there are hundreds of towns in Italy not even microfilmed by the LDS (possibly more). Those people with ancestry from these towns are even in more of a dilemma!

:D

Poipuo4
Elite
Elite

Postby Poipuo4 » 02 Jul 2008, 16:20

http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library ... rvices.asp

Mary, go to this web site and print out the form for ordering copies by mail. Then order a copy of the record you need straight from the FHC in Salt Lake City. They will have the best copiers and may be able to produce for you a more legible copy. You will have to tell them the microfilm roll number, date of the document and name on the document.
http://www.celenzaheritage.com

dedicated to the people of Celenza Valfortore, Province of Foggia

MaryGenottiCollins
Rookie
Rookie

Postby MaryGenottiCollins » 03 Jul 2008, 01:30

Thanks I will order a copy.......

I'll also ask if they can scan them.

The lady at the LDS Said they just got a memo that the catholic church will no longer allow microfilming of records. They don't know why-

I imagine I could also write to the stato civile and get copies of the records as well, right?
Mary Genotti-Collins

Names currently researching:

Genotti, Garibaldi, Vottero

A family without a genealogy is like a country without a history.

Essgee
Master
Master

Postby Essgee » 03 Jul 2008, 04:26

There are some films that are horrible. If you need a specific document, order it. However, if you have to get that document before you can determine who is the parent of who, and 4-6 weeks for a response for the first order...you are looking at a lot of time here. Particularly if you have to request by a specific individual.

I have found that a microfilm scanner does give a clearer picture. I have also found that a negative picture works well. Most of the printer machines have this option. Try it and see.

Another thing that I have found very successful. I take the best copy I can. I come home and scan it into photoshop or you can use gimp or even paint. Blow it up and use the eraser feature to erase the stray marks in the background. Often the "ink" bloomed on the page or seeped through from the back of the page. If you can eliminate all that stuff you will be amazed at what you can then see of the document. Like day and night. It is time consuming, but not 4-6 weeks waiting for the next name to then send for the document.

You can get copies of the records from the Stato Civile...but these are extracts for the most part...not the originals. Unless the policy has changed, they tend to not make photocopies of the records.

What ever you choose, good luck. Nothing like going through the records to let you "reach out and touch someone"!

JamesBianco
Staff
Staff

Postby JamesBianco » 03 Jul 2008, 05:50

MaryGenottiCollins wrote:The lady at the LDS Said they just got a memo that the catholic church will no longer allow microfilming of records. They don't know why-

This would apply to church records only, not civil records (which I assume you are using, since very little Italian (apart from Sicily) Church documents have been microfilmed by the LDS). The Pope issued an edict to all Catholic Priests forbidding them from allowing the Mormons to photograph their records. It is an incredible setback. Hopefully someday this will be rescinded.
---
I found this pretty detailed explanation for The Pope's edict

---
Vatican Orders Catholic Parish Registers Off-Limits to LDS Church
Monday May 5, 2008
A recent letter issued by the Vatican Congregation for Clergy directs Roman Catholic dioceses worldwide to keep The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints from "microfilming and digitizing information" contained in Catholic sacramental registers, according to a report in the Catholic News Service. The reason give for the move is to prevent LDS Church members from using the records to posthumously baptize Catholic ancestors by proxy.

The Vatican directive says the purpose of the policy is to:

"ensure that such a detrimental practice is not permitted in [each bishop's] territory, due to the confidentiality of the faithful and so as not to cooperate with the erroneous practices of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints."

One of the core tenets of Mormon faith is that the dead can be baptized into the Church to offer them the opportunity to accept the faith in an afterlife and achieve salvation. Many Jews and Christians have been upset by this practice, and see it as usurping the memory of their departed relatives. Some of this has been due to such names appearing in the International Genealogical Index (IGI) which does include the records of temple work submitted by member of the LDS Church, but also includes names extracted from civil records as part of a Records Extraction Project. In other words, just because a name is in the IGI, doesn't mean the individual was baptized into the Latter-day Saints faith after their death, although stories such as Will Pope Benedict become a Mormon after he dies? seem to appear in the news media fairly regularly. Ironically, the Vatican Offices of the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith declared in June 2001 that baptism conferred by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is not valid. The response was signed by the prefect, Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger — now Pope Benedict XVI.

The LDS Church has microfilmed millions of pages of parish registers from all over the world -- many of them from Catholic parishes. In doing so, they preserve these valuable records for future generations, and make them available to people all over the world - people of all faiths and beliefs. Restricting access to these records by the Latter-day Saints hurts everyone, and possibly even denies the Catholic church part of its own heritage as unfilmed records are lost to decay, flood or fire. As David M. Bresnahan so eloquently stated in his article Genealogists Need Catholic Records to Find Ancestors - Families Have Right to Family History, "Hopefully Mormons, Catholics, and genealogists of all faiths can unite in prayer that those who are responsible for this decision will reconsider, particularly as the consequences of this policy become manifest."

misbris
Master
Master

Postby misbris » 03 Jul 2008, 18:06

Great article, James, thank you for sharing. I am so happy that church records from our parish in Newark,NJ were filmed before this edict. :wink:

TomG
Rookie
Rookie

Postby TomG » 17 Aug 2008, 00:44

LDS has the records for S. Michele church in Belforte, Borgotaro, ER from the 1500's until the mid 1930's. From what I understand the church records were destroyed, and yet LDS has microfilms of them. The ones I ordered were quite hard to read, and we offered to have them transferred to a cd, but they refused our offer! I don't understand why they would turn down an offer like that, but they did.

Essgee
Master
Master

Postby Essgee » 17 Aug 2008, 17:24

They are in the process of putting everything on CD for their web site. It all has to be indexed and that is a long process....indexed 3 times so that mispellings are accounted for in the indexes.

They don't let people copy whole films because of contractual things they entered with the sources of the info originally. Things have changed over time, but a lot of stuff is still under restriction. If you print some of the pages out, they print "for private use only" on the page. This is so people won't publish information that doesn't belong to them, I guess. But it might well explain why your offer was turned down.

Return to “Italian Genealogy”