Finding Family

As a nation state, Italy has emerged only in 1871. Until then the country was politically divided into a large number of independant cities, provinces and islands. The currently available evidences point out to a dominant Etruscan, Greek and Roman cultural influence on today's Italians.
mmonico
Rookie
Rookie

Finding Family

Post by mmonico »

Hello, Im not sure where to find this information. I am looking to find any of my relatives that might still be in Italy. My family comes from Vichiaturo, my GGF name was Carmine Pietromonaco, his fathers name was Alessandro Pietromonaco, his mothers name was Maria DI Sarro.
I have looked in the world phonebook and have found 8 or 9 numbers with the Pietromonaco last name. Does anyone have any ideas on how to find info to see if any of this families might be related?
I am going to be in Italy on the 10th of Sept. and I know its short notice but any help and I would be very greatful.

Thank you

MMonico
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: Finding Family

Post by PeterTimber »

May I please know the province "Vichiaturo is located? =peter=
pink67
Master
Master

Post by pink67 »

Perhaps ti's Vinchiaturo, Campobasso Province, Molise Region....

Laura
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Thank you Laura you very kind. It's obviously cosmic moment day for me.=Peter=
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Dear M there are about 8 Pietromonaco listed in the directory for ViNchiaturo, postale 86019, Campobasso province, Molise region. If you go to www.paginebianche.it and put in Pietromonaco inthe first line and Vinchiaturo in the seco nd line and click CERCA all 8 will appear by full name,addresses and telephone numbers. They are most llikely related to you (albeit distant in some cases) but if you call them and take a chance and speak Italian or even english (english is second language in schools in Italy) you might connect. Of the 8 select those whose first names ring a bell in your head s being from your names used inyour immediate family. If you want to write them a letter then go to www.mangeruca.com for potential relative letters in Italian in www.mangeruca.com. =Peter=
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Post by Italysearcher »

Since you are going to Italy anyway, ask for your last relative born in Italy's birth or marriage certificate at the Anagrafe office. GGrandfather is a bit of a stretch for someone's memory. Then start asking questions about the other people in town with the same name. If that doesn't work go to see the priest. If he helps you be sure to make a donation to the church (or at least pay for a mass to be said for your ancestors).
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Start out by talking to Carmine Pietromonaco who is the town butcher on Corso Umberto (yes!! the yellow pages do work) since at least you know where to go and probably knows who he can refer you to for further information. Alsolet him know where you will be staying and give him your address so that even after you leave a "discovered" relative might be able to contact you after the fact.

Talking to the priest is a good idea and start out by asking him to say a mass as suggested by Italysearcher for relatives in the town inthe hope that you will find a relative..it will motivate him to ask the people who attend his next scheduled mass. =Peter=