Pictures circa 1900

As a nation state, Italy has emerged only in 1871. Until then the country was politically divided into a large number of independant cities, provinces and islands. The currently available evidences point out to a dominant Etruscan, Greek and Roman cultural influence on today's Italians.
tonyric
Veteran
Veteran

Pictures circa 1900

Post by tonyric »

I am trying to find pictures of Raiano, Sulmona and Ali (Superiori, not Terme) circa 1900. Does anyone know where I can find a good bit of them? I have searched Google and have had limited success. :) I am trying to find pictures of where my Great-Grandparents on both sides lived (I know I won't find their homes LOL).

Thanks
Tony
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Re: Pictures circa 1900

Post by liviomoreno »

Cathynap
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Cathynap »

Tony,
If is too small for you, go to Ebay Italia and search on the town name. Often they have postcards, pictures or artwork of the period you seek for sale. Sometimes they have large images that you can save to your hard drive.
tonyric
Veteran
Veteran

Post by tonyric »

Cathy, thanks for the suggestion, but they don't have anything.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Perhapos there may be a library in the towns that may have a photographic collection that suits your needs. =Peter=
tonyric
Veteran
Veteran

Post by tonyric »

Peter, I got a great number of contemporary pictures of Sulmona and have found a few collections of pics of Sulmona. Raiano and Ali (Superiore) being smaller communes I have found little. The library suggestion is a good thought I hadn't considered. When I go in a couple years, I will make sure to hit them, you are right that they could be a great resource for pictures. :)

I am about ready to send out letters to potential cousins in all three communes and if I make connections with them, I might be able to get some stuff from them. But, of course, I wouldn't broach that until a relationship is formed. Luckily, I have friends and family that can read/write italian so I have translators to help me with the letters and emails. At least until I get to a good enough point with Rosetta Stone to be able to continue without help. :)
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Rosetta Stone like all the other modern methods requires high motivation to learn and memorize. You should read the italian newspapers on Line as often as you can to supplement what you learn. =Peter=
nazca
Elite
Elite

Post by nazca »

hi,
take to a look to website www.sulmona.org .(click on "photogallery") thare are some ancient pictures and info about sulmona..

best regards.
I'm searching lost relatives and descendant of my greatgrandfather Vincenzo Genualdi (or Gennaldi or Genuardi) and my greatgrandmother Concetta Davola (their sons: Angela, Carmela, Antonio, Bartolomeo, Ernesto, Simone, Riccardo, Maria) went in Chicago,Ill., and New Orleans, in 1880-1920 from Sicily. Other family related : Jacobucci or Jacopucci (from Central Italy).
rentanerd

Post by rentanerd »

My family (Rao) is from Ali. I have a lot of photos from the 20s 30s and 40s. Also, it is a very small town 1/2 the people have 1 of 10 last names! You can probably find some of the older folks that know your family and can even find both relatives and the house your grandparent lived in. The town is very old, it predates Christ.

I was there less than 2 years ago and saw houses hundreds of years old and older. Others were still standing that no one has lived in in over a hundred years. I can assure you that you can find what you are looking for.

Your origional post is old, hopefully you get this. You can e-mail me if you're still interested.
tonyric
Veteran
Veteran

Post by tonyric »

rentanerd wrote:My family (Rao) is from Ali. I have a lot of photos from the 20s 30s and 40s. Also, it is a very small town 1/2 the people have 1 of 10 last names! You can probably find some of the older folks that know your family and can even find both relatives and the house your grandparent lived in. The town is very old, it predates Christ.

I was there less than 2 years ago and saw houses hundreds of years old and older. Others were still standing that no one has lived in in over a hundred years. I can assure you that you can find what you are looking for.

Your origional post is old, hopefully you get this. You can e-mail me if you're still interested.
Wait a second.... LOL Your family is Rao? My Rao connection was my great-great grandmother who married D'Angelo. I sent my email to your PM box.
JJOC1414
Rookie
Rookie

Post by JJOC1414 »

tonyric wrote:I am trying to find pictures of Raiano, Sulmona and Ali (Superiori, not Terme) circa 1900. Does anyone know where I can find a good bit of them? I have searched Google and have had limited success. :) I am trying to find pictures of where my Great-Grandparents on both sides lived (I know I won't find their homes LOL).

Thanks
Tony
Tony,

I just wrote to you on a different thread asking for the person's name who sent the fax with your Estratto di Nascita. I thought you were the person I helped to get the Naturalization Certificate way back when, but now that I see this message asking about pictures of Sulmona I'm wondering if I may have confused you with someonoe else. There was also someone asking about pictures of Sulmona, particularly about taking a picture of the house at #4 Vico Ancona the next time I was there. Was that you? If so, I was recently back to Sulmona and I have a couple of pics that I can send.

John