Svingi?

As a nation state, Italy has emerged only in 1871. Until then the country was politically divided into a large number of independant cities, provinces and islands. The currently available evidences point out to a dominant Etruscan, Greek and Roman cultural influence on today's Italians.
chcatalano

Svingi?

Post by chcatalano »

My husbands grandmother (from Valledolmo, Sicily) always had plates of pastry/rolls that he recalls as svingi (? not sure of the spelling here). They were pastry wrapped around anchovy I think.
He recalls that the children would open them up and run away screaming because of the fish in the center (not enjoyed by the kids, but his parents loved them).
Does anyone know what this may be and/or have a recipe?
eyetalgal
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Svingi?

Post by eyetalgal »

Sfingi - Italian Cream Puff Fritters

I'm sure there are many recipes online.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

It easier to go to the nearby Italian Pasticceria and buy sfingi and toss in some miniature cannoli's too!! =Peter=
chcatalano

Post by chcatalano »

Thank you for the info. Now that I have the spelling down, I have found many recipes, but none of them have anchovys stuffed in the middle. It seems like they are all sweet recipes. Were they made savory too or is anchovy and sugar a common combo?
eyetalgal
Veteran
Veteran

Post by eyetalgal »

Ricotta and Anchovy Fritters

Ingredients

6 1/2 c Flour
7 Anchovy Fillets
2 oz Fresh Brewers Yeast
Oil for pan frying
1 lb Ricotta Cheese

In a bowl, mix the flour together with the brewers yeast dissolved in warm water and season with salt and pepper. Knead the dough, adding more warm water if necessary. When you have obtained a springy paste, cover with a napkin and a woollen cloth and leave for about 2 hours to rise. In the meantime, cut the anchovies up small and put them in a bowl. In another bowl, crush the ricotta with a fork. When the dough has risen, break off a little and, on the palm of your left hand (previously dampened with water) form a shell. In the hollow, put a piece of anchovy and a tablespoon of ricotta. Pull the same dough up to cover the filling and form a ball or an oval. Pour the oil or lard into a deep-sided frying pan and, when hot, arrange the crespelle in it with the aid of a spatula. Fry until golden, dry the crespelle on kitchen paper and serve hot.
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

Can you substitute the anchovy for something else.....I hate anchovies!!
wldspirit

"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."
eyetalgal
Veteran
Veteran

Post by eyetalgal »

If you do a search for 'Ricotta Fritters' I'm sure you'll find dozens of recipes.

My sister used to make a basic dough batch and use different fillings for the adults and kids.

I love anchovies!
Joannsalvo
Elite
Elite

Post by Joannsalvo »

My grandmother made "sfinge" - not sure of spelling,

Sfinci

Ingredients:

1000 grams of flour
1 liter of water
30 grams of yeast
100 grams of sugar
Cinnamon (Whatever quantity desired)
4 tablespoons of olive oil
Grated lemon peel
Powdered sugar

Directions:

Dissolve yeast in a little cup of warm water and combine with all the ingredients except the olive oil. Blend thoroughly.

Add oil to mixture and beat well. Allow to leaven.

Drop dough (one tablespoon at a time) into a frying pan with filled halfway with olive oil and fry until golden brown. Sprinkle with powdered sugar.
These are great hot from the frying pan.
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

Ohhh.......now that sounds good!! :D
wldspirit

fredoniapeaches
Rookie
Rookie

Post by fredoniapeaches »

those cinamon and powdered sugar ones...those are like what my aunt used to make...only we grew up with them having the name of Beets...but locally in carnivals and fairs...they sell them as "Dough Boys..."

either way...now...I want one!!
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

I've never heard of a dough boy....but I imagine something similar to funnel cakes or elephant ears.......the only reason I go to the fair is for the junk food......drives my husband crazy....
wldspirit

fredoniapeaches
Rookie
Rookie

Post by fredoniapeaches »

same here...I only go to the county fair to eat from one end to the other!!
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

A shame you live so far away....I could leave the hubby at home (I'm sure he would be more than happy to oblige ) and we could both eat our way from one end to the other!!

I used to go on rides, but I discovered this past summer after going on one with the grandchild....that their not as fun as they once were....or maybe I'm just not as young as I was once.... :P
wldspirit

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Dear she who would come to the fair and mangia when you get to NYC I will take you to several pasticceria bakeries from Brooklyn where they make sfinge like the rest of NY from St Josephs day up to Easter...all the way thru manhattan, bronx and westchester county and then cross over to Connecticut where we can hit Greenwich, Stamford, and on up to Hartford and the shore, take a ferry across to Long Island and Montauk and work or way back to NYC via the Long Island expressway making stops all the way...now this should fill our tummies and no purges allowed. =Peter=
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

With such an excursion as you have planned I would have to purge, or end up weighing 210 instead of my preffered weight of 110!! :P
Lee