Italian Opera Don Pasquale

As a nation state, Italy has emerged only in 1871. Until then the country was politically divided into a large number of independant cities, provinces and islands. The currently available evidences point out to a dominant Etruscan, Greek and Roman cultural influence on today's Italians.
2 posts • Page 1 of 1

Italian Opera Don Pasquale

Postby Conti832 » 24 Feb 2009, 03:41

My hometown,a very small town called Sharpsville Pa, was once called The Iron Capital of The World,during this time about 100years ago and longer
Italians began to flock to the town for work in the mills ,most came from Ciociaro.

During this time there was a Opera House that was boarded up and pretty much forgotten about until discovered by mistake about 8 or nine years ago.Now after years of work it is to be reopened looking very much as it did all those years ago.

The Opera to reopen it is Don Pasquale .I don't know much about opera and was wondering how well known it may be in Italy?
Conti832
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Italian Opera Don Pasquale

Postby eyetalgal » 24 Feb 2009, 05:52

I enjoy Donizetti's work. Don Pasquale is a comic opera or a'buffa' and geniunely humorous. I'm sure it still appeals to an Italian audience...even after 167 years.

Act I
Don Pasquale is a wealthy, and lonely, old man who wants a bride. Don Pasquale wishes to disinherit his nephew, Ernesto, who is in love with the widow Norina. Pasquale goes to his friend, Malatesta, to help him find a wife so that he can leave his inheritance to his own children rather than his nephew. Malatesta, believing Don Pasquale is quite foolish, (and also being friends with Ernesto) offers to introduce him to his sister “Sofrinia.â€
eyetalgal
Veteran
Veteran

2 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to Italian History & Culture