Martinelli Military Record WW1

As a nation state, Italy has emerged only in 1871. Until then the country was politically divided into a large number of independant cities, provinces and islands. The currently available evidences point out to a dominant Etruscan, Greek and Roman cultural influence on today's Italians.
4 posts • Page 1 of 1

Martinelli Military Record WW1

Postby redvech » 10 Nov 2009, 04:54

Have recently discovered that my great-grandfather Raffaele Martinelli from Aversa served in the Italian army during WW1 before comming to the USA in 1919. How could I obtain these records?
redvech

Re: Martinelli Military Record WW1

Postby PeterTimber » 10 Nov 2009, 09:43

You can request his military records from the Archivio di Stato di Caserta which is the provincial capital for Aversa.

Go to www,angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwisdom/Davids_form_letters.html for the form letters in Italian to request his REGISTRO DI LEVA (conscription records).

Mail the form letter to ARCHIVIO DI STATO DI CASERTA Sezione Miltare
VIA DEI Bersaglieri 9
81100 Caserta, Campania, Italy

=Peter=
~Peter~
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Postby johnnyonthespot » 10 Nov 2009, 12:27

PeterTimber wrote:You can request his military records from the Archivio di Stato di Caserta which is the provincial capital for Aversa.

Go to www,angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwisdom/Davids_form_letters.html for the form letters in Italian to request his REGISTRO DI LEVA (conscription records).

Mail the form letter to ARCHIVIO DI STATO DI CASERTA Sezione Miltare
VIA DEI Bersaglieri 9
81100 Caserta, Campania, Italy

=Peter=

Peter, in another thread (this one), you made a very strong case for always requesting the "FOGLIO DI CONGEDO ILLIMITATO":

...when writing for the provincial military records request his discharge records (FOGLIO DI CONGEDO ILLIMITATO) which will all his vitals, education, transfers, campaigns, medals and wounds (if any). This will give you as much information as possible.
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Postby PeterTimber » 10 Nov 2009, 16:59

Dear Johnny When inquiries concerning military records are made, Inquiries asking about something more than a military record ( such as length of service, campaigns, medals, wounds, date and place of draft etc) then I recommend The Discharge Records (foglio di Congedo Illimitato) but if they merely request a military record or seeking information about the vital statistics of a male relative that the comune cannot provide I recommend the simplest Conscription Record (Registro di Leva) in keeping with inquiries or my perc eption of what they want or need.

There are two other records that can be requested. One is the Draftees Resume of his Serivce Record(Registro dei Foglie Matricolari) containing deatils of military service and such items as promotions. The other is Service Records (Regstro di ruolo) which also contain details of military service. =Peter=
~Peter~
PeterTimber
Master
Master

4 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to Italian History & Culture