Choice of Padridi - Godparents

As a nation state, Italy has emerged only in 1871. Until then the country was politically divided into a large number of independant cities, provinces and islands. The currently available evidences point out to a dominant Etruscan, Greek and Roman cultural influence on today's Italians.
iolanda2
Veteran
Veteran

Choice of Padridi - Godparents

Post by iolanda2 »

Would love to hear all opintions about potential / possible clues that can be obtained from the choice of godparents.
I understand that many godparents are relatives or members of the parrish.
In situations when the godparents are not relatives and are not from the parish of birth is it possible to learn anything?
I am referencing both Emilia and Le Marche during 1815 - 1840.
I am finding godparents that do not appear to be family members or members of the parrish of birth.

what do you think?
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Choice of Padridi - Godparents

Post by suanj »

iolanda2 wrote:Would love to hear all opintions about potential / possible clues that can be obtained from the choice of godparents.
I understand that many godparents are relatives or members of the parrish.
In situations when the godparents are not relatives and are not from the parish of birth is it possible to learn anything?
I am referencing both Emilia and Le Marche during 1815 - 1840.
I am finding godparents that do not appear to be family members or members of the parrish of birth.

what do you think?
Hi, it are many clues, but I can say you that North or south Italy, the many clues are however the same.... In the past time the godparents of first child, normally are the same of church wedding witnesses... that was the tradition.... for other children the godparents was from free choice...

-the free choice for godparents ( no relatives, no parish members) normally was abt a good friendship... so the child's parents " tightened" better the good friendship, and the friends becoming godparents of a child....
instead, sometimes,( more rare) it was no a friendship, but different situations; for exemple: the choice of head manager of father's child; the choice of a rich person of residence town, the choice of a far relatives but in good money etc... so the choice was made second what was the interest of child's parents of for child's future...
and because for tradition nobody cannot refusing that, it was a way for to tighten a friendship or a relationship...
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
iolanda2
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Choice of Padridi - Godparents

Post by iolanda2 »

Molte grazie Suanj,
I found my bisnonna, baptized in Medolla 1833, but this parish does not have a record for the marriage of her parents. The godfather is from Cividale and not a relative. The godmother is a zia. So I will ask the parrocchia in Cividale if they have a record of the marriage.
There are so many small abandoned parrocchia in the region of Medolla.
Tangi aguri
iolanda in california usa