Scafatuna

As a nation state, Italy has emerged only in 1871. Until then the country was politically divided into a large number of independant cities, provinces and islands. The currently available evidences point out to a dominant Etruscan, Greek and Roman cultural influence on today's Italians.
Cavecreekmommy

Scafatuna

Post by Cavecreekmommy »

I'm not sure if I'm spelling this Italian dish correct. I'm spelling it phonetically. I got the recipe from my father's side which was Napolitan and Calabrian.

It consists of Rigitoni mixed with Ricotta cheese, thinly shredded mozarella cheese and marinara sauce.

I don't think I have the correct name because I'f done a search and can't come up with anything. Does anyone know the name? Maybe I'm misspelling it.

thanks,
Bethany
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: Scafatuna

Post by PeterTimber »

Your speaking about Baked Ziti...go to www.bellaonline.com/articles/art30665.asp for recipe.

I really do not know how to say Baked Ziti. I can guess it might very well be called Ziti al Forno but I amnot sure. =Peter=
~Peter~
legnoduro
Veteran
Veteran

Post by legnoduro »

Ciao Cavecreekmommy,
Schiafatone (this is how my mother spelled the name) was my nonno's favorite (He was Calabrian)! I fell in love with it as a child and still prepare it today. The rigatoni are generally a bit larger and the schiafa part, as I understand, implies the swelling of the pasta from the stuffing of ricotta and sometimes sausage. Eventually we just started to refer to any rigatoni prepared meal as "schiafatone".
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

You can keep uttering the name Schiafatone as much as you wish and while doing so I will be cafunging the schiafatone with zest!! (Cafunging is a word which I invented many years ago since the verb CAFARNAO is used in the idiomatic expression "VO A METTERE IN CAFARNAO"=I am going to supper.

Since I reside in NY it is quite acceptable to speak "La Terza lingua". =Peter=
~Peter~
legnoduro
Veteran
Veteran

Post by legnoduro »

Interesting post, Peter, but what is your point?
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Not much more than adding to the fund of knowledge about Italian americans and the adaption and creation of words commonly referred to by Italian High School teachers in NY as" La Terza lingua" ( or used to when teaching a foreign language was a serious endeavor). =Peter=
~Peter~
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

PeterTimber wrote:You can keep uttering the name Schiafatone as much as you wish and while doing so I will be cafunging the schiafatone with zest!! (Cafunging is a word which I invented many years ago since the verb CAFARNAO is used in the idiomatic expression "VO A METTERE IN CAFARNAO"=I am going to supper.

Since I reside in NY it is quite acceptable to speak "La Terza lingua". =Peter=
Peter, where did you get the idiomatic expression "Vo a mettere in Cafarnao"? I've never heard it before. Is Cafarnao a verb??????
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

My dictionary has it as an idiomatic expression which I stumbled across in High school 1000 years ago and never forgot. My current dictionary has the word as well CAFARNAO(m) Andato in _____ , eaten. Vo a mettere in_____, I am going to supper. Thats it.

I personally never heard the word CAFARNAO used neither here nor in the many times I went to school or visited Italy. It is probably one of those obscure words inItalian that is not much used and we have the same sort of thing in english as well. =Peter=
~Peter~
legnoduro
Veteran
Veteran

Post by legnoduro »

Could the word be cafarùne? I understand this word in Calabrese dialect means gully or ravine (burrone in Italian). "Mettere in cafarùne" could make idiomatic sense, or am I really stretching it here?
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Give it a try! www.dialettando.com and see what you come up with. Italian dictionaries are, however, a formidible foe! =Peter=
~Peter~
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

Thanks Peter. I did a research on Google and found a couple of references about Cafarnao in idiomatic sentences. Strange enough such usage seems limited to the Veneto region.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

How interersting Livio but I assure you when I stumbled upon it in High School I really didn't inquire as to the words roots so now I know from whence it came. I still do enjoy "CAFUNJING" on culinary delights. Thanks much Livio=Peter=
~Peter~
cynannwood

Post by cynannwood »

Is Cavecreekmommy from Cave Creek AZ?
Cavecreekmommy

Post by Cavecreekmommy »

Yes, it is in Cave Creek, Arizona. My e-mail was hacked and I just finally figured out how to get back onto this account. I need to figure out how to change the e-mail delivery system though.