The Riveli and other taxes

As a nation state, Italy has emerged only in 1871. Until then the country was politically divided into a large number of independant cities, provinces and islands. The currently available evidences point out to a dominant Etruscan, Greek and Roman cultural influence on today's Italians.
cliklm

The Riveli and other taxes

Post by cliklm »

I am a bit confused about the level of taxes paid by the residents of a feud in Sicily. I see where the Riveli tax was about 10% on homes and possessions. But I also understand from information contained in the website for Lucca Sicula that the farmer paid a "gabella" based on the production from his fields. According to the website this "gabella" was based on 3 terriggio (I'm not quite certain what this equates to however). Am I correct to understand that residents paid a 10% tax on his home and possessions and in additon had to pay a "gabella" based on the production of his fields?
Kathy
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: The Riveli and other taxes

Post by PeterTimber »

Go to www.familysearch.org/en/Italy_Sicily_Rivelli_Records This website has been relocated within the Mormon Family search.org and may require additonal research to locate,

However the Gabelle Tax and its historical roots are examined in the
www.bronteinsieme.it/brins_en/2st_en/mo_bro_en.html =Peter=
~Peter~
cliklm

Re: The Riveli and other taxes

Post by cliklm »

Thank you Peter!