Has anyone ever heard this expression?

As a nation state, Italy has emerged only in 1871. Until then the country was politically divided into a large number of independant cities, provinces and islands. The currently available evidences point out to a dominant Etruscan, Greek and Roman cultural influence on today's Italians.
95 posts • Page 4 of 71, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Re: Has anyone ever heard this expression?

Postby Julo » 23 Jun 2010, 02:34

alifano76 wrote:TO ALYZA... I know very well the meaning of the tongue-twister you said (Cheech kah-mah-nah kah-lah - Kah-lah kah-mah-nah cheech). The correct version is (in the dialect of Alife): Cicciu cumànn'a Còla e Cola cumànn'a Cicciu. Its translation into Italian is: Francesco comanda a Nicola e Nicola comanda a Francesco. In english is: Frank orders (do something) to Nick and Nick orders (do something) to Frank. We use this proverb to indicate when someone wants to do something and asking someone else to do, so as to "bounce" the thing to do ... I hope you understand my explanation... GAETANO


You are right !
User avatar
Julo
Rookie
Rookie
 
Posts: 61
Joined: 31 Mar 2006, 00:00

Re: Has anyone ever heard this expression?

Postby Julo » 23 Jun 2010, 02:41

MaryMena wrote:As to the word "Scustumata".

I am from Calabria and that word is a dialect word still widely used among my relatives. It simply means bad mannered, rude, or not showing the proper respect.

Mary


You are right, Peter is wrong
User avatar
Julo
Rookie
Rookie
 
Posts: 61
Joined: 31 Mar 2006, 00:00

Re: Has anyone ever heard this expression?

Postby Julo » 23 Jun 2010, 02:46

donnawright wrote:I hesitate because I don't know what the heck these things say, but this one has never been in a complimentary manner either. Here goes.

ed nah gaddita da mammita

The first emphasis was on the Ed

Sorry if it's bad.

Donna


de mammata means: your mothers'
ed nah gaddita ??? never heard it before, but it sounds like she was cursing the mother
User avatar
Julo
Rookie
Rookie
 
Posts: 61
Joined: 31 Mar 2006, 00:00

Re: Has anyone ever heard this expression?

Postby Squigy » 23 Jun 2010, 09:44

Julo,

Perhaps you know the phrase "booch nas kah tah" or something like that. I am told it means I hope you burst/bust.
User avatar
Squigy
Master
Master
 
Posts: 724
Joined: 02 Jun 2009, 06:05
Location: Texas, USA (Born in Pennsylvania)

Re: Has anyone ever heard this expression?

Postby aliza24 » 23 Jun 2010, 12:17

LOL. Italians are so colorful and / or creative with their language. It just cracks me up.
User avatar
aliza24
Veteran
Veteran
 
Posts: 247
Joined: 30 Jun 2007, 00:00
Location: Houston, TX

Re: Has anyone ever heard this expression?

Postby Squigy » 23 Jun 2010, 13:01

aliza24 wrote:LOL. Italians are so colorful and / or creative with their language. It just cracks me up.


Yes, that phrase makes me laugh every time I hear it. My great grandmother would bite her hand while she said it.
User avatar
Squigy
Master
Master
 
Posts: 724
Joined: 02 Jun 2009, 06:05
Location: Texas, USA (Born in Pennsylvania)

Re: Has anyone ever heard this expression?

Postby aliza24 » 23 Jun 2010, 13:50

Biting her hand- ha ha! That's another thing- how animated they are.

I saw Martin Scorsese on a talk show once and he was telling a funny story about shooting the film Gangs of New York in Italy and what a challenge it was at times. He needed a lot of extras for this one scene but needed light-haired / eyed Italians.

They advertised and got the extras. He said they had to tell them to just PRETEND that they were having a conversation in the background without saying anything. Well, they DID keep quiet but they were all moving their hands and making gestures. LOL.

They had to keep telling them "don't move your hands!" Even a FAKE conversation couldn't come without the appropriate gestures! That just cracks me up.
User avatar
aliza24
Veteran
Veteran
 
Posts: 247
Joined: 30 Jun 2007, 00:00
Location: Houston, TX

Re: Has anyone ever heard this expression?

Postby Squigy » 24 Jun 2010, 14:12

aliza24 wrote:Biting her hand- ha ha! That's another thing- how animated they are.

I saw Martin Scorsese on a talk show once and he was telling a funny story about shooting the film Gangs of New York in Italy and what a challenge it was at times. He needed a lot of extras for this one scene but needed light-haired / eyed Italians.

They advertised and got the extras. He said they had to tell them to just PRETEND that they were having a conversation in the background without saying anything. Well, they DID keep quiet but they were all moving their hands and making gestures. LOL.

They had to keep telling them "don't move your hands!" Even a FAKE conversation couldn't come without the appropriate gestures! That just cracks me up.


:lol: I've been told several times that I talk with my hands.
User avatar
Squigy
Master
Master
 
Posts: 724
Joined: 02 Jun 2009, 06:05
Location: Texas, USA (Born in Pennsylvania)

Re: Has anyone ever heard this expression?

Postby wldspirit » 24 Jun 2010, 16:40

My husband and best friend claim if you tied my hands together
I couldn't talk...... :lol:
___________________________

"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."
User avatar
wldspirit
Staff
Staff
 
Posts: 5603
Joined: 17 Nov 2004, 01:00
Location: U.S.A.

Re: Has anyone ever heard this expression?

Postby Squigy » 24 Jun 2010, 17:05

wldspirit wrote:My husband and best friend claim if you tied my hands together
I couldn't talk...... :lol:


:lol:

Well, to me it just feels unnatural talking without moving my hands.
User avatar
Squigy
Master
Master
 
Posts: 724
Joined: 02 Jun 2009, 06:05
Location: Texas, USA (Born in Pennsylvania)

Re: Has anyone ever heard this expression?

Postby wldspirit » 25 Jun 2010, 06:12

It is unnatural......I've tried and it just doesn't work!! :wink:
___________________________

"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."
User avatar
wldspirit
Staff
Staff
 
Posts: 5603
Joined: 17 Nov 2004, 01:00
Location: U.S.A.

Re: Has anyone ever heard this expression?

Postby choprjohn » 25 Jun 2010, 16:42

My family originally came from Reggio Calabria, my uncle Frank & any cousins were always called Cheech. I also was told that a "chooch" meant that you were a jackass. Just my .02 cents...Johnnie.... P.S. Someone tied my hands together. so im typing this with my nose...lol
Researching IEMMA, From Cittanova, Reggio Calabria, also YEMMA & AMIE from Syracuse NY
User avatar
choprjohn
Rookie
Rookie
 
Posts: 53
Joined: 13 Nov 2009, 04:16
Location: Roseland Fl.

Re: Has anyone ever heard this expression?

Postby liviomoreno » 25 Jun 2010, 16:51

Ciccio (Cheech) is a popular nickname
Ciuccio (chooch) means indeed a jackass
User avatar
liviomoreno
Master
Master
 
Posts: 3980
Joined: 13 Feb 2004, 01:00
Location: Rome, Italy

Re: Has anyone ever heard this expression?

Postby Julo » 26 Jun 2010, 01:23

Squigy wrote:Julo,

Perhaps you know the phrase "booch nas kah tah" or something like that. I am told it means I hope you burst/bust.


booch ???never heard

The closest thing that comes to mind is the neapolitan: "puozzano schiattá "
which indeed means: May they burst

it sure sounds like what you wrote in pig italian :roll:
User avatar
Julo
Rookie
Rookie
 
Posts: 61
Joined: 31 Mar 2006, 00:00

Re: Has anyone ever heard this expression?

Postby Squigy » 26 Jun 2010, 01:56

Julo wrote:
Squigy wrote:Julo,

Perhaps you know the phrase "booch nas kah tah" or something like that. I am told it means I hope you burst/bust.


booch ???never heard

The closest thing that comes to mind is the neapolitan: "puozzano schiattá "
which indeed means: May they burst

it sure sounds like what you wrote in pig italian :roll:


I was thinking maybe it was one of those sayings that got muddled in America. Like Sophia Petrillo's "Botchagaloop".
User avatar
Squigy
Master
Master
 
Posts: 724
Joined: 02 Jun 2009, 06:05
Location: Texas, USA (Born in Pennsylvania)

PreviousNext

95 posts • Page 4 of 71, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Return to Italian History & Culture

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

Copyright © 2014. www.ItalianGenealogy.com.