Villa

As a nation state, Italy has emerged only in 1871. Until then the country was politically divided into a large number of independant cities, provinces and islands. The currently available evidences point out to a dominant Etruscan, Greek and Roman cultural influence on today's Italians.
michaud
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Villa

Post by michaud »

Wow....thats fantastic "johnnyonthespot". I love those old documents. Is that the one that you received from the Italian government when you had them search? So, i need to send a letter to the Italian government requesting military info and they will either send me the records o tell me there is none.
Sorry to be a pain...but this is all VERY new and a little confusing for me. I really appreciate all the help and support.
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

Yes, in my first reply in this thread, I linked to another thread with a sample letter to the state archives requesting a Registro di Leva and a "Foglio di Congedo Illimitato" which is bascially a complete military record for someone who served. It would show where he was stationed, any promotions, medals earned, etc. This Google Search shows some examples: http://images.google.com/images?q=FOGLI ... =en&tab=wi

In the case of my maternal grandfather, he did not serve due to a medical condition, so the archives sent me the Regsitro di Leva along with a letter indicating that they could not locate any other records (to be expected, since he did not serve).

And, no, you are not being a pain. :) Every single one of us began at the beginning, just as you are doing now.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
michaud
Rookie
Rookie

Post by michaud »

Yes....i have printed off the sample military letter you posted and will attempt to do one myself and and send off to the Italian government. I hope i do it correctly and they understnad it....lol!
I also plan to use the other sample you sent for the marriage, birth and death. I believe that my grandfather had married in Italy before my grandmother and his 1st sife passed away. They should be able to find that out with this letter right?? and give me information??
Thanks so much for your assistance. I am really enjoying doing this!
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Dear Johnny I use Inquirer as did most of us oldtimers and frankly, never heard the phrase OP ever used...It seems awakward and I prefer inquirer. =Peter=
~Peter~