Retirement age?

As a nation state, Italy has emerged only in 1871. Until then the country was politically divided into a large number of independant cities, provinces and islands. The currently available evidences point out to a dominant Etruscan, Greek and Roman cultural influence on today's Italians.
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Retirement age?

Post by johnnyonthespot »

What is the typical age at which Italians retire from work and begin collecting the state pension?

What is the minimum age at which one can begin collecting?

Finally - and I don't know if anyone here can answer this - I vaguely recall reading that in certain cases (persons who have worked in both countries perhaps?) dual US/Italian citizens can retire in Italy and collect an Italian state pension, in lieu of US Social Security, through a system in which Italy and the US combine the earnings records from both countries. Anyone know how this works?
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: Retirement age?

Post by Tessa78 »

This may be what you're looking for...

http://www.conssanfrancisco.esteri.it/C ... /Pensioni/

T.
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Post by Italysearcher »

Italians don't get a pension unless they have the required number of years of contributions. 35 years at last count but they keep changing the rules.
In the South work with contributions is hard to come by as employers prefer to pay 'under the table' so they don't have to pay the contributions. Age discrimination means that under 30 years of age the contributions are less, so unless you get a firm job before age 30 its difficult to acquire the required 35 years contributions before age 65. The government here has trouble paying SS to Italians. I can't imagine you being better off here than in the US if you need to rely on this form of pension supplement.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

Italysearcher wrote:Italians don't get a pension unless they have the required number of years of contributions. 35 years at last count but they keep changing the rules.
In the South work with contributions is hard to come by as employers prefer to pay 'under the table' so they don't have to pay the contributions. Age discrimination means that under 30 years of age the contributions are less, so unless you get a firm job before age 30 its difficult to acquire the required 35 years contributions before age 65. The government here has trouble paying SS to Italians. I can't imagine you being better off here than in the US if you need to rely on this form of pension supplement.
No, I was more curious than anything else.

It seems as though a significant percentage of Italians would not be entitled to the state pension; that being the case, how do they survive "old age"?

Welfare? Family? Savings?
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

Italysearcher wrote:Italians don't get a pension unless they have the required number of years of contributions. 35 years at last count but they keep changing the rules.
The pension system is rather complicated and difficult to explain in few words.

Pensione di Vecchiaia = Old age
When you reach the age of 65 (60 if you are a woman) you get the pension if you have paid at least 20 years of contributions. The amount is "proportional" to the contributions paid.

Pensione di Anzianità = Seniority in the work life
You may get the pension at any age if you have paid 40 years of contributions. If you have more than 35 years of contribution you can ga on pension at 60 years of age, this age will become 61-62 in the next future. The amount is "proportional" to the contributions paid.

Assegno sociale
You get it if you are 65 and have no other income, the amount is euro 5.317,65 per year.

etc...

All details are available in Italian at https://servizi.inps.it/newPortal/defau ... enu=1&p7=3
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

adinnhall wrote:Retirement age can be decided by there person himself upon his health or for any reason. Minimum age for the retirement is at the age of 50. Till this age the money is been added to the pension plan and so the employee gets a good benefit from this.
Where did you get this info? You may decide to stop working but you will not get the pension until you reach the age that I indicated in my previous post...
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

I suspect the above to be a spammer, moving all three of adinnhall to private for review.
Lee

"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Post by Italysearcher »

another spammer???
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.