Italian American History Month

As a nation state, Italy has emerged only in 1871. Until then the country was politically divided into a large number of independant cities, provinces and islands. The currently available evidences point out to a dominant Etruscan, Greek and Roman cultural influence on today's Italians.
51 posts • Page 2 of 41, 2, 3, 4

Re: Italian American History Month

Postby Squigy » 16 Oct 2010, 07:07

ForzaItaliaPgh wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think Rosemary Clooney is actually Italian. I know some Italian performers anglicized their names (Dean Martin for example) but I think Rosemary Clooney just happened sing Mambo Italiano, but wasn't actually Italian herself. Great song, either way and on my I-pod :)


No, she isn't, you're right. In fact, I read somewhere that she hated doing that song because she thought her accent was offensive.

Something funny, I was listening to Mambo Italiano on YouTube, and one of the comments was "Thumbs up if you came here cause of Mafia II" and that was the highest rated comment. That's one of those moments where I feel lucky to be Italian, because I heard that song all the time, even when I was little. And I remember going to Italian festivals and hearing it while eating all the authentic Italian food. Other people associate with a stupid video game and Olive Garden.
My Italian surnames:

Caserta: Maietta, Rossano, Tessitore, Negro, Peluso, Musone

Campobasso: D'Andrea, Barile

Catanzaro: Fiorelli/Fiorillo, Romito
User avatar
Squigy
Master
Master
 
Posts: 724
Joined: 02 Jun 2009, 06:05
Location: Texas, USA (Born in Pennsylvania)

Re: Italian American History Month

Postby Julo » 16 Oct 2010, 13:53

I've always known october to be Italian Culture Month, here in the NY area there are some cultural activities going on but lately they have become rather scarce. As far as the discovery of America goes, many people try to blame the exploitation and genocide of american indians on Cristoforo Colombo, I cannot believe the extend that some people go to serve their own ridiculous agendas and blame a great ITALIAN man in history. Of course the truth lies in the fact that spaniards and anglos exterminated the local indians, italian did not hurt anybody. First of all at that time in history there was no Italy, this is the main reason why Colombo had to resort to Spain for finances for his voyages.
My wife is an Ialian teacher and a few years ago, during a ceremony organized by the school to remember the american indians, she was asked by the language dept. supervisor, BELIEVE IT OR NOT, to apologize for what Colombo did, of course she refused saying exactly what I wrote above. Many people are ignorant and follow the media hype, always looking for someone to blame for other people shortcomings or faults. The italians are always a good target because we let too many things slide and we do not act as a unified community like the spanish, orientals, blacks, etc. etc.
Another ridicolous thing is that many claim that Colombo was jewish, spanish, pretty soon they're going to say that he was from Mars. Colombo was born in Genova (Italy), many try to revise history and bend it their own way, when they fail in doing so, they try to discredit a great accomplishment like the discovery of America and try to transform it into the genocide of the american indians.
User avatar
Julo
Rookie
Rookie
 
Posts: 61
Joined: 31 Mar 2006, 00:00

Re: Italian American History Month

Postby ForzaItaliaPgh » 16 Oct 2010, 15:02

Ciao Julo,

I've noticed that as the idea that Columbus was a monster bent on the extermination of the native population of the New World has spread, that the other groups that used to try to claim he has one of their own and not Italian have all fallen silent. You really don't hear anyone questioning that he was Italian these days. I guess when you achieve something great, you mustn't be Italian, but when you are perceived to be a murderer, then it's all of a sudden okay that he was Italian. I'm surprised people don't think he was in the mafia ;)

Italians were the great leaders and navigators of the discovery of the Americas, but the decimation of the Indians cannot be laid at their feet. Ultimately, the native populations were destroyed by the Spanish, Portuguese, and here in North America the British. But the press is all about how horrible Columbus was.

In my book, he stands with Washington as a founding father, maybe not of the political unit (USA) but of the land and for the people who wouldn't be living here without his bold adventure.
Researching BARONTINI family from Tuscany
User avatar
ForzaItaliaPgh
Elite
Elite
 
Posts: 338
Joined: 02 Jul 2010, 18:35

Re: Italian American History Month

Postby Squigy » 16 Oct 2010, 15:16

ForzaItaliaPgh wrote:Ciao Julo,

I've noticed that as the idea that Columbus was a monster bent on the extermination of the native population of the New World has spread, that the other groups that used to try to claim he has one of their own and not Italian have all fallen silent. You really don't hear anyone questioning that he was Italian these days. I guess when you achieve something great, you mustn't be Italian, but when you are perceived to be a murderer, then it's all of a sudden okay that he was Italian. I'm surprised people don't think he was in the mafia ;)

Italians were the great leaders and navigators of the discovery of the Americas, but the decimation of the Indians cannot be laid at their feet. Ultimately, the native populations were destroyed by the Spanish, Portuguese, and here in North America the British. But the press is all about how horrible Columbus was.

In my book, he stands with Washington as a founding father, maybe not of the political unit (USA) but of the land and for the people who wouldn't be living here without his bold adventure.


Here is something interesting another user posted:

What about the man who discovered America? Christopher Columbus? Nope. Crisforo Columbo.
Who discovered Canada? John Cabot, right? Nope. Giovanni Caboto.
Who was America named after? Amerigo Vespucci. But rarely do you ever even hear his name even mentioned with America.
Why didn't they call Mussolini- Ben Mussolin? Becase he never did any good, he was evil, so why Americanize it and take credit for it?
My Italian surnames:

Caserta: Maietta, Rossano, Tessitore, Negro, Peluso, Musone

Campobasso: D'Andrea, Barile

Catanzaro: Fiorelli/Fiorillo, Romito
User avatar
Squigy
Master
Master
 
Posts: 724
Joined: 02 Jun 2009, 06:05
Location: Texas, USA (Born in Pennsylvania)

Re: Italian American History Month

Postby choprjohn » 16 Oct 2010, 16:09

Yiou are 100% correct, she was as Irish as Patty's pig...lol
Researching IEMMA, From Cittanova, Reggio Calabria, also YEMMA & AMIE from Syracuse NY
User avatar
choprjohn
Rookie
Rookie
 
Posts: 53
Joined: 13 Nov 2009, 04:16
Location: Roseland Fl.

Re: Italian American History Month

Postby Squigy » 05 Nov 2010, 01:23

Biff83 wrote:Since it's Italian American History month, I thought members might find my previous 2007 post interesting.

"Often overlooked is the role that Italians played in the early days of jazz music. Nick LaRocca, Anthony Parenti, Frank Signorelli, Eddie Lang (Salvatore Massaro), Leon Roppolo, Adrian Rollini, Joe "Wingy" Manone, Phil Napoleon (Filippo Napoli), Jimmy Durante (yep, the great Schnozzola started out as a piano player), and the baddest jazz violin player of all time Joe Venuti. Here's a link to the Joe Venuti, Eddie Lang and Their All-Star Orchestra page on the Red Hot Jazz Archive where you can listen to a number of selections. Not too shabby a line up with Venuti on violin, Lang on guitar, Benny Goodman on clarinet and Jack Teagarden on trombone and vocals. Make sure you listen to "After You've Gone" for a really hot violin solo by Venuti, and "Beale Street Blues" featuring some wonderful ensemble work and Jack T's funky vocal. You can also access the pages of the other musicians mentioned above for bios and full version songs.

www.redhotjazz.com/vlo.html

Biff"


Hey, Biff, thought this site might interest you:

http://www.italiansinjazz.com/history.php

I saw the link on the Italic Institute of America's website.
My Italian surnames:

Caserta: Maietta, Rossano, Tessitore, Negro, Peluso, Musone

Campobasso: D'Andrea, Barile

Catanzaro: Fiorelli/Fiorillo, Romito
User avatar
Squigy
Master
Master
 
Posts: 724
Joined: 02 Jun 2009, 06:05
Location: Texas, USA (Born in Pennsylvania)

Re: Italian American History Month

Postby Cherry » 05 Nov 2010, 12:05

Julo wrote:I've always known october to be Italian Culture Month, here in the NY area there are some cultural activities going on but lately they have become rather scarce. As far as the discovery of America goes, many people try to blame the exploitation and genocide of american indians on Cristoforo Colombo, I cannot believe the extend that some people go to serve their own ridiculous agendas and blame a great ITALIAN man in history. Of course the truth lies in the fact that spaniards and anglos exterminated the local indians, italian did not hurt anybody. First of all at that time in history there was no Italy, this is the main reason why Colombo had to resort to Spain for finances for his voyages.
My wife is an Ialian teacher and a few years ago, during a ceremony organized by the school to remember the american indians, she was asked by the language dept. supervisor, BELIEVE IT OR NOT, to apologize for what Colombo did, of course she refused saying exactly what I wrote above. Many people are ignorant and follow the media hype, always looking for someone to blame for other people shortcomings or faults. The italians are always a good target because we let too many things slide and we do not act as a unified community like the spanish, orientals, blacks, etc. etc.
Another ridicolous thing is that many claim that Colombo was jewish, spanish, pretty soon they're going to say that he was from Mars. Colombo was born in Genova (Italy), many try to revise history and bend it their own way, when they fail in doing so, they try to discredit a great accomplishment like the discovery of America and try to transform it into the genocide of the american indians.


Well, Columbus's origins can be foggy but at least no-one could possibly deny that America wouldn't be America without that Italian guy Amerigo!
:-)
User avatar
Cherry
Rookie
Rookie
 
Posts: 46
Joined: 03 Nov 2010, 20:50

Re: Italian American History Month

Postby DeFilippis78 » 06 Nov 2010, 18:13

Rosemary Clooney wasnt Italian.Shes George Clooneys aunt. I think they are both Irish or so I read. I think the deal with not recognizing the moth for Italians is they figure they threw us Columbus day and that should shut us up, lol
User avatar
DeFilippis78
Master
Master
 
Posts: 1144
Joined: 02 Dec 2009, 03:19

Re: Italian American History Month

Postby Squigy » 06 Nov 2010, 22:27

DeFilippis78 wrote:Rosemary Clooney wasnt Italian.Shes George Clooneys aunt. I think they are both Irish or so I read.


But her version of Mambo Italiano is by far the best. I believe she is German, too.

DeFilippis78 wrote:I think the deal with not recognizing the moth for Italians is they figure they threw us Columbus day and that should shut us up, lol


I don't think so. Most people don't even see Columbus Day as for Italian people. In fact, some people don't even know he's Italian (it might be more obvious if he was called Cristoforo Colombo)!
My Italian surnames:

Caserta: Maietta, Rossano, Tessitore, Negro, Peluso, Musone

Campobasso: D'Andrea, Barile

Catanzaro: Fiorelli/Fiorillo, Romito
User avatar
Squigy
Master
Master
 
Posts: 724
Joined: 02 Jun 2009, 06:05
Location: Texas, USA (Born in Pennsylvania)

Re: Italian American History Month

Postby Squigy » 07 Nov 2010, 09:24

Here is another article I thought might be interesting to those wanting to preserve their heritage:

http://www.suite101.com/article.cfm/ita ... cans/79763

In it, the author talks about how Italians are falsely portrayed in the media, and how it changes how Italian Americans view themselves.

If these media portrayals aren't stopped from being drilled into our heads, Italians are going to start living up to them, and they will lose their rich heritage. This is already happening, and fast.
My Italian surnames:

Caserta: Maietta, Rossano, Tessitore, Negro, Peluso, Musone

Campobasso: D'Andrea, Barile

Catanzaro: Fiorelli/Fiorillo, Romito
User avatar
Squigy
Master
Master
 
Posts: 724
Joined: 02 Jun 2009, 06:05
Location: Texas, USA (Born in Pennsylvania)

Re: Italian American History Month

Postby DeFilippis78 » 08 Nov 2010, 03:14

I personally love Dean Martins "mambo Italiano"
User avatar
DeFilippis78
Master
Master
 
Posts: 1144
Joined: 02 Dec 2009, 03:19

Re: Italian American History Month

Postby Squigy » 08 Nov 2010, 11:19

DeFilippis78 wrote:I personally love Dean Martins "mambo Italiano"


Do you? I don't like it as much, but that's just me. Something about the way he says mambo. Hey ma-humbo, you know? I guess his is more authentic, though.

I didn't hear Dean Martin's till this year, actually. Rosemary Clooney's was the one my family listened to (I heard it all the time when I was growing up).
My Italian surnames:

Caserta: Maietta, Rossano, Tessitore, Negro, Peluso, Musone

Campobasso: D'Andrea, Barile

Catanzaro: Fiorelli/Fiorillo, Romito
User avatar
Squigy
Master
Master
 
Posts: 724
Joined: 02 Jun 2009, 06:05
Location: Texas, USA (Born in Pennsylvania)

Re: Italian American History Month

Postby DeFilippis78 » 08 Nov 2010, 16:29

LOL! I LOVE Dino, his voice is so soothing and nice. But what do you want from me, Im a woman :) I listen to Dino all the time. Im getting ready to pop in his Christmas CD!
User avatar
DeFilippis78
Master
Master
 
Posts: 1144
Joined: 02 Dec 2009, 03:19

Re: Italian American History Month

Postby ForzaItaliaPgh » 08 Nov 2010, 19:38

DeFilippis78 wrote:LOL! I LOVE Dino, his voice is so soothing and nice. But what do you want from me, Im a woman :) I listen to Dino all the time. Im getting ready to pop in his Christmas CD!


IMHO, Dino is by far the best of the old crooners (sorry Frank) but I still like Clooney's Mambo Italiano better, I don't know, she really gets into it!
User avatar
ForzaItaliaPgh
Elite
Elite
 
Posts: 338
Joined: 02 Jul 2010, 18:35

Re: Italian American History Month

Postby DeFilippis78 » 08 Nov 2010, 19:44

Rosemarys is a faster pace so its more fun to dance too! But I agree with you 110%, Dino is the BEST crooner. Frankie boy tends to talk through his songs, where Dino really sings. I just love him !
User avatar
DeFilippis78
Master
Master
 
Posts: 1144
Joined: 02 Dec 2009, 03:19

PreviousNext

51 posts • Page 2 of 41, 2, 3, 4

Return to Italian History & Culture

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

Copyright © 2014. www.ItalianGenealogy.com.