Zeapple Recipe

As a nation state, Italy has emerged only in 1871. Until then the country was politically divided into a large number of independant cities, provinces and islands. The currently available evidences point out to a dominant Etruscan, Greek and Roman cultural influence on today's Italians.
Last
Veteran
Veteran

Zeapple Recipe

Post by Last »

Hi Everyone, my family made an Italian treat always at Christmas. They were made with anchovies and some with raisins. They would fry them in oil and they looked like little balls. My mom is having memory issues an can't remember how to make them. Our family comes from Montefusco Italy and I was wondering If anyone had a recipe to offer me. :)
Parente, Camerlengo, De Iorio, Di Luca, Mirra, Mirro, De Stefano, De Spirito
eyetalgal
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Zeapple Recipe

Post by eyetalgal »

ZEPPOLE WITH ANCHOVY

1 1/2 cups flour
1 package yeast
Pinch salt
3/4 cup water
16 anchovy fillets
6 cups oil

Mix flour, yeast, salt, and water. Let rest in refrigerator.

After dough rests for about 2 hours, divide dough into 16 pieces. Place an anchovy in your palm. Fold dough over and make a ball.

In heavy pot, heat oil. Add to hot oil and cook until golden brown.

there are lots of recipes for this online...just search for zeppole with anchovy
choprjohn
Rookie
Rookie

Post by choprjohn »

In my family we had these at Easter without anchovies. My father made them with potato dough(I think) then fried them in oil & put powdered sugar on them
Researching IEMMA, From Cittanova, Reggio Calabria, also YEMMA & AMIE from Syracuse NY
eyetalgal
Veteran
Veteran

Post by eyetalgal »

We had zeppole (no anchovies) for the feast of San Giuseppe in March