2011 Italian Census

As a nation state, Italy has emerged only in 1871. Until then the country was politically divided into a large number of independant cities, provinces and islands. The currently available evidences point out to a dominant Etruscan, Greek and Roman cultural influence on today's Italians.
Italysearcher
Master
Master

2011 Italian Census

Post by Italysearcher »

We received our 2011 census forms. Not unlike the UK or North American ones. Lots of questions about family, work, how far you travel to work etc.
My husband dropped it off at the town office as directed. It never occurred to me that this was strange until I was refused a genealogical search because the anagrafe office was 'doing the census'.
'Doing the census' involves checking each form to make sure all the questions are answered and if not, then calling you by phone to get the answer. I wonder how many of the questions were answered truthfully, since they (well except naive old me) would know that the answers would be seen by the town clerks. No privacy here folks!
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
Kendrick11

Re: 2011 Italian Census

Post by Kendrick11 »

as we are discussing on 2011 Italian Census, you know a decennial population and housing census has been taken in Italy since 1861, based on the conventional methodology of complete field enumeration. All information was collected and processed on a complete basis. Only a long form was traditionally used and all the information collected was processed without making use of any sampling techniques.

For the 2011 census, a number of factors raised questions about the appropriateness of continuing to rely on the conventional methodology. A major change though only applying to the largest municipalities will be the use of sampling techniques for the collection of socio-economic information. This strategy implies a shift towards the production of estimations concerning the socio-economic set of variables included in EU Regulation. These estimations will be produced by using a long form for a sample of households. Two enumeration forms will be used in municipalities with 20,000 or more inhabitants (and in all provincial capitals): a short form, in order to collect data on the demographic features of the whole resident population, and a long form, designed for a sample of households and including demographic topics as well as socioeconomic variables.

Paper presented at the joint UNECE/Eurostat meeting on Population and Housing Censuses, Geneva, 28-30 October 2009.
pink67
Master
Master

Re: 2011 Italian Census

Post by pink67 »

I did the 2011 census online and I spent just ten minutes. I had just one doubt on one question, called the call-center and a very kind lady gave me the correct answer. I did the census online also for my parents..

Laura