Bauso (Villaranca Tirrena) History

As a nation state, Italy has emerged only in 1871. Until then the country was politically divided into a large number of independant cities, provinces and islands. The currently available evidences point out to a dominant Etruscan, Greek and Roman cultural influence on today's Italians.
Joe4322
Rookie
Rookie

Bauso (Villaranca Tirrena) History

Post by Joe4322 »

Good afternoon everyone,

I have always been interested in where my father came from. I wanted to read what it was like in his time, as well as my grandparents and beyond.

My father was born in 1889, and my grandparents were born in 1858 and 1863.

Can anyone tell me what is the best information to read in(English) to get some knowledge of the area and times.

Thank you
Joe
Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: Bauso (Villaranca Tirrena) History

Post by Tessa78 »

Hi Joe :-)

While it is sometimes difficult to find something written about a particular town, you can get a good overview with some of the books written about the time.

I would recommend:
Fate and Honor, Family and Village:
Demographic and Cultural Change in Rural Italy since 1800

by Rudolph M. Bell (copyright 1979) University of Chicago Press

He gives great insight into what he feels are the four words that "capture the essence of the Italian peasant's response to life: fortuna, onore, famiglia and campanilismo."
He does this through the study of four villages in locations throughout Italy. The villages are Albareto in Emilia-Romagna (north); Castel San Giorgio in Campania (near Naples); Rogliano in Calabria (toe of the boot); and Nissoria in Sicily.

T.
Joe4322
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Joe4322 »

Hello T,

Thank you for the suggestion. I checked with the local libraries, they do not have it. I will go to Amazon to buy it.

Thank you
Joe
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

I purchased mine used...

If it isn't available on Amazon, try half.com :-)

T.