what is a 'normal' Sicilian temper??

As a nation state, Italy has emerged only in 1871. Until then the country was politically divided into a large number of independant cities, provinces and islands. The currently available evidences point out to a dominant Etruscan, Greek and Roman cultural influence on today's Italians.
midoritori2014

what is a 'normal' Sicilian temper??

Postby midoritori2014 » 19 May 2014, 19:10

Ok. So growing up my mother was very verbally and emotionally abusive. My grandfather was to her as well. He was from Sicily and my mother was raised half in America, half there.

But, as an adult, as I've come to terms with our abusive relationship with them (I am totally fine now), I have to stop and wonder, how much is cultural? And how much is not?

Examples:

My grandfather would flip tables if food wasn't ready on time. He 'cut the bridge' with all of his family members over nothing. None of his children talk. And he only talks to one of his children.

My mother screams on top of her lungs, calling me all sorts of derogatory names. Growing up she told me I could do nothing right even though I went on to get highest GPA in my major, have been successful in life, family kids. Had a very straight and honest life- but she is very critical. Always tearing down. Always causing drama and yelling over small things. Even a few times, she floored her car down the highway with me in the car screaming "do you wanna die!".

So how much of this temper is cultural, and how much just isn't? Just curious.

Thanks!

jennabet
Master
Master

Re: what is a 'normal' Sicilian temper??

Postby jennabet » 20 May 2014, 15:04

Maybe it's emotional mental illness. There is plenty of that in Italy.

midoritori2014

Postby midoritori2014 » 20 May 2014, 15:20

Haha. That's pretty much what I chalk it up too anyway.

carubia
Master
Master

Postby carubia » 27 May 2014, 11:25

My family was Sicilian but none of them behaved that way. Sure, they raised their voices a lot (that's cultural I guess), but not to say cutting, personal insults and criticisms. I think you'll find abusive people everywhere.

113yearslater
Rookie
Rookie

Postby 113yearslater » 02 Jun 2014, 23:46

I think people are just what they are -- I've known many people who rant and rave and insult who aren't Italian or Sicilian. I think we tend to be a bit more expressive, but beyond that, I doubt any real generalizations would hold water. Some people anywhere are just ... well, jerks. :(

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Postby PeterTimber » 27 Aug 2014, 14:39

I recently saw a Mexican film in which every other word was the worst imaginable and it is evident that vulgarity bridges ignorance wherever education is sparse and prevalent as a cultural identity. I just happen to subscribe to http://www.medievalists.net which is a website dedictated to Medieval daily life and culture from the peasant cultural mores up to Royal feudal life and speech which I find very interesting and goes far into explaining mankind the and what makes us what we are today. Peter
~Peter~

faizan3366

Postby faizan3366 » 30 Aug 2014, 11:51

nice forum................. :) :D

Return to “Italian History & Culture”