medals

As a nation state, Italy has emerged only in 1871. Until then the country was politically divided into a large number of independant cities, provinces and islands. The currently available evidences point out to a dominant Etruscan, Greek and Roman cultural influence on today's Italians.
18 posts • Page 1 of 21, 2

medals

Postby girty » 10 Oct 2005, 21:33

I have a picture of my greatgreat grandfather Gaetano Sorrentino from Torre del Greco, Italy. In both pictures he is wearing some type of military medals. One picture is older probably mid to late 1800's since it seems to be some sort of painting, the other is an actual picture of him with relatives, probably late 1800's to early 1900's. My question is can any one identify the medals hes wearing. I've tried searches to match them but can't seem to find the exact ones. Maybe someone here can help. I'm going to try and attach the pictures, if it doesn't work I will glady send them to you.
girty
Veteran
Veteran

Re: medals

Postby suanj » 10 Oct 2005, 21:44

Hi girty here are an website of militar medal http://www.filatelicafiorentina.com/pro ... S&IDC=1121 you can see and also to write about your medal:
send an picture:
Filatelica Fiorentina
Via Porta Rossa,74r
50123 FIRENZE
Tel. +39 055 219086
and ask if they know that medal this is... regards, suanj
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby suanj » 10 Oct 2005, 21:51

Girty: but I remember something about your ancestor.. was from Torre del Greco..? I think that you wish know the career militar records? It is so? suanj
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby girty » 10 Oct 2005, 21:57

Yes Suanj, awhile ago I asked about medal, I sent to you and Peter. I would love to Identify the medals. Yes this side of family is from Torre del greco, my grandmothers side. Her father was also a Captain of something, I do't know what though. Torre del greco is slow to reply to my requests. and no film at LDS. I have written and emailed to no reply.
girty
Veteran
Veteran

Postby suanj » 10 Oct 2005, 22:03

Girty for to Identify the medal you need of an medal lover, so my previous post could be helpful... also another suggestion:
if you know the birthdate of Gaetano, you can request Ruolo Matricolare in Archivio di stato di Napoli ( I no remember the birthdate so I cannot help you for to see if are the records in Archivio).. well if the medal was an honor medal or militar medal or similar .. in ruolo matricolare sure are and you can know where you ancestors had it.. regards, suanj
hoping no most bad the english this time.. eheheh
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby girty » 10 Oct 2005, 22:12

your english is great. will look through site you sent, thanks suanj
girty
Veteran
Veteran

Postby suanj » 10 Oct 2005, 22:13

Girty you have more infos about Gaetano?? Please let me know... suanj
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby suanj » 10 Oct 2005, 22:22

Girty, you also can write directly to MARINA MILITARE of Italy, Story's Office.. and you ask if they know the medal .. send an email with good picture of medal.. they, as ALL Archives in Italy no make the search, but I think that sure can offer you some good advice, and with good luck also directly know the medal name.. ehehe...

http://www.marina.difesa.it/storia/Uffi ... cio001.htm
and here are all books with the names of persons that had medal in the Navy http://www.marina.difesa.it/storia/Uffi ... cio008.htm

and here are an good collection
http://www.artedellamedaglia.it/regia_marina.html
http://www.artedellamedaglia.it/marina_militare.html

regards, suanj
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby girty » 10 Oct 2005, 22:32

I don't know to much about Gaetano, he is my greatgreatgrandfather. I only know he was married to Rose Pinto. His son Pasquale Sorrentino was my great grandfather he was born in Torre del Greco, Naples, Italy, in February 15, 1865. So i would have to assume Gaetano was born early to mid 1800's. as I said Torre del greco doesn't reply. I have sent for birth of Pasquale and Family certificate. and also emailed many archives in Naples. Nothing..for 1 year I have been asking..LDS has no film for that area. I don't think Gaetano ever came to America. thats all I know about him.
girty
Veteran
Veteran

Postby suanj » 11 Oct 2005, 01:51

Hi girty, in Italy only some archive reply to email.. normally are necessary to phone call, fax and etc.. so also for the Commons.. I know well; in this cases is better to send an fax in Archive... about Pasquale I think that you request the birthact in Torre del Greco Common? and they no reply you..never? is right? and you send again and again.. until they relpy you !!!!!!!!!!! They sure are the registries after 1865, because from 1809 to 1865 are in Archivio di stato di Napoli! please you write again in URP (Ufficio Relazioni con il Pubblico) and you say that the Common no send the records that you request from an year back... uffurp @ comune.torredelgreco.na.it also you can write to DIFENSORE CIVICO that is an Commonal lawyer about no replies to peoples... http://www.difensorecivicotdg.org/denuncia_on_line.asp
regards, suanj
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby girty » 14 Oct 2005, 05:22

I wrote an email and sent picture to the site you gave me suanj, gave me some useful info. here it is

Hi Ellen,
In my opinion this could be one of many medals from the War of Independence in Italy 1859. There were number of medals with the traditional tri-color Italian ribbons so establishing which one this was by the ribbon alone is highly inaccurate. If you had some records of his then it can be narrowed down but would take a lengthy research.

Regards,

Kris, Antiques & Militaria
girty
Veteran
Veteran

Postby suanj » 14 Oct 2005, 10:43

Hi girty, yes I understand, and sure is helpful this info: if you want you can write in Archivio di Napoli for an search in
U f f i c i o d i l e v a d i N a p o l i , regg. 5.858 (classi 1842-1913) if they can help you... regards, suanj
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby girty » 01 Dec 2005, 06:46

testing picture
girty
Veteran
Veteran

Postby girty » 01 Dec 2005, 06:48

yippy i did it......whoooooahhhh. sorry over excited. this is Gaetano Sorrentino, Torre del Greco, Naples, Italy...This is the uniform and medal I'm trying to identify...and suggests welcome.
girty
Veteran
Veteran

Postby girty » 24 Jan 2006, 06:52

just a quick update....this is an email I received from a gentleman at a military site in Italy
Spero che capisca quanto le dico, lei può scrivere anche in inglese.
Dalla fotografia non si riesce a comprendere molto perchè è una fotografia molto ritoccata.
Per ritoccata intendo alterata nei colori (è stata dipinta la lastra), allora non esisteva la fotogarfia a colori, e quanto mi ha inviato è in tono molto scuro.
Il personaggio sicuramente Ufficiale di età fra i 30 e 40 anni ha in mano una cosa che non riesco a distinguere (forse una pipa) come le medaglie che se fosse più chiara la foto si distinguerebbero i colori originali dei nastrini per escludere che non sia di un periodo successivo al 1860 data della unificazione al Regno d'Italia.
Se la foto è fatta dal 1850 al 1860 a Torre del Greco è sicuramente un ufficiale del Regio Esercito Borbonico delle Due Sicilie.
E' importante sapere ad esempio il cognome del personaggio (anche l'anno di nascita) o leggere sulla carta stampata della foto il fotografo che l'ha fatta.
Tante altre informazioni, come lettere documenti etc. servono o aiutano a dare un volto alle persone come la loro vita e le vicende a cui hanno partecipato.
Se non ha compreso o non è chiaro qualche particolare me lo dica. Saluti Walter
girty
Veteran
Veteran

Next

18 posts • Page 1 of 21, 2

Return to Italian History & Culture