Sending gifts to Italy

As a nation state, Italy has emerged only in 1871. Until then the country was politically divided into a large number of independant cities, provinces and islands. The currently available evidences point out to a dominant Etruscan, Greek and Roman cultural influence on today's Italians.
3 posts • Page 1 of 1

Sending gifts to Italy

Postby VaDeb » 14 Nov 2005, 22:32

I just returned from a trip to Sicily and would like to send some thank you gifts to some very helpful people we met there. A friend has told me that if I send a gift, the recipient in Italy will have to pay a tax or tarriff to receive the gift.

Can anyone give me any details on this? Does it apply to any gift I send? Or only over a certain monetary amount?

If I send someone a T-shirt with a value of 15 Euro's - can you give me an estimate of what it would cost the recipient?

Thanks for the information in advance. I don't want to send something that would be a hardship for someone to receive.
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Sending gifts to Italy

Postby mfjp » 14 Nov 2005, 22:54

He Debbie, missed you here!!

If you call your local post office they may help with this kind of info.

Maybe when you've unpacked some more, please do write about your trip... would also like to know if you were able to get research info from the town you visited.

Envy you...

maria

further edit... just read your other post (about your trip...) and beautifully written too... :P
mfjp
Master
Master

Re: Sending gifts to Italy

Postby DeliBoy » 21 Nov 2005, 01:38

The rules are quite complicated, see Community arrangements for customs relief

The way I read it, section 3, 8th bullet point applies. "small consignments of a non-commercial nature sent by private persons in third countries to private persons in the Community. The Regulation sets specific quantitative limits per consignment of alcohol, tobacco, perfumes and toilet waters. For other products the value is limited to 45 euros"

So there should be no import duty to be paid on your T-shirt.

But don't quote me on that, I'm no tax man.
DeliBoy
Rookie
Rookie

3 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to Italian History & Culture