*** There is a problem with new registrations - Contact us when you did not receive an activation email ***

convents, my great grand mother was raised in one

As a nation state, Italy has emerged only in 1871. Until then the country was politically divided into a large number of independant cities, provinces and islands. The currently available evidences point out to a dominant Etruscan, Greek and Roman cultural influence on today's Italians.
3 posts • Page 1 of 1

convents, my great grand mother was raised in one

Postby ciacciomuschettofamily » 01 Apr 2006, 22:52

How do I access information from convents in Sicily? Why would my great grandmother have been raised in one in the late 1880's? It was before WW!, was there another conflict in Italy or a catrastophe? I would like to find my lineage through the convent structure in Sicily.
ciacciomuschettofamily

Re: convents, my great grand mother was raised in one

Postby suanj » 01 Apr 2006, 23:37

the civil record are in the birthplace, city hall, civil record Office... no records for the convents, only for someone and they are in State archive of province's birthplace
but please with right step: now to search the birthplace, and for this info we must search the ship's manifest... and after this, what is possible to find in Italy, you can have... regards, suanj
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: convents, my great grand mother was raised in one

Postby jcsm400 » 01 Apr 2006, 23:49

It was a great family honor to have a son/daughter join the priesthood or convert. Also, I think that she could have been sent there just for a better education. My grandmother was sent to a convert for this reason (Poland).
Researching in San Vitaliano, Napoli, Italy & Armento, Potenza, Italy.
jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

3 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to Italian History & Culture