Cause of death not on death records?

As a nation state, Italy has emerged only in 1871. Until then the country was politically divided into a large number of independant cities, provinces and islands. The currently available evidences point out to a dominant Etruscan, Greek and Roman cultural influence on today's Italians.
cacello

Cause of death not on death records?

Post by cacello »

As far as I can tell Italian death records list the date and time and where a person died but not how they died. Is that correct?
I am still trying to learn italian and between not knowing Italian well and having to read old records that are in long hand I could have missed something.

My Great Grandparents died in the early 1900's. (him first in Pisa and her a few years later in Lucca) There are two stories that have been passed down in my family. One is that they died in the influenza epedemic and the other that they were in an accident. I have been able to determine by locating their death records that they died a few years apart. But I do not know why they died, they were both in thier mid twenties when they died.
He was a medical surgeon, and she was a house wife. Her death record said she died in a hospital.

Is there any record/information that I could obtain that would show the cause of death? Were there newspapers in the Lucca or Pisa area at this time?

If anyone knows of a source to look at I would be grateful
Thanks,
Cacello
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Re: Cause of death not on death records?

Post by wldspirit »

Can't give you any insight to the death records, but if you are having trouble with reading the records, the Lds provides a word list of common terminology found in these records.......

http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Search/ ... Italia.ASP

wldspirit
wishyou
Veteran
Veteran

Post by wishyou »

No, death records do not report the cause of the death.
The cause of death is reported only on coroner's certificate.
Sometimes and only by will of the Officer of Stato Civile the cause of death are reported.

Abitually are reported, oher than dead persons data (name, place of birth, date of birth, etc) death place (address of death), hour and minute, age at the moment of death, name of hte houseband/wife.

Often in the parish records is reported cause of death, but only till 1930's
cacello

Post by cacello »

Thank you for your help. I have only looked at the Stato Civile records.
I will try to find parish records and see if have any more information.