Writing a book about Avellino-WWII

As a nation state, Italy has emerged only in 1871. Until then the country was politically divided into a large number of independant cities, provinces and islands. The currently available evidences point out to a dominant Etruscan, Greek and Roman cultural influence on today's Italians.
Berardina

Writing a book about Avellino-WWII

Post by Berardina »

I am writing a book about Avellino during world war two. I would like to know of stories from women and children of that time. I would like to hear about the experience of living through fascist government and any hardships experienced.
denman922
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Writing a book about Avellino-WWII

Post by denman922 »

I am writing a book myself about my family history and some of the very unique things that happened to my ancestors over the past 120 years. I was told by some family elders that a cousin in italy was executed by the Nazi's in WW2 for beind a part of the Partisans, ( Italian resistance). I have dramatized this story and will send it to you. Maybe it will give you some ideas.

Let me know, Dennis
Descendant of Rotolo of Rizziconi, Cabriel/Gabriel of Belluno(BL), Froner,Ell,Ognibeni,Moschen of Levico Terme(TN), Libardi,Avancini of Barco di Levico(TN), Bernardi of Ponte nelle Alpi(BL), Metz of Bronzolo(BZ), Bonatti of Martello (BZ),Atz of Salorno(BZ
vinx999

Post by vinx999 »

Berardina wrote:I am writing a book about Avellino during world war two. I would like to know of stories from women and children of that time. I would like to hear about the experience of living through fascist government and any hardships experienced.
Hello Berardina, I'm writing from Avellino, Italy, and I think I can help you..... :) I've got just one problem: I don't speak english well... :D
However... I've got a lot of stories for your book...
vinx999

Post by vinx999 »

Berardina wrote:I am writing a book about Avellino during world war two. I would like to know of stories from women and children of that time. I would like to hear about the experience of living through fascist government and any hardships experienced.
Hello Berardina, I'm writing from Avellino, Italy, and I think I can help you..... :) I've got just one problem: I don't speak english well... :D
However... I've got a lot of stories for your book...
daveferro
Veteran
Veteran

Post by daveferro »

Berardina,

You have a ideal source with vinx999. May I suggest a book I am reading about Cassino?

It is called Monte Cassino by Matthew Parker published in 2004. He interviewed many soldiers from both sides and gives their perspective. Some are cited in the bibliography as written their own books. One in particular that I would like to read is by a French nurse, Solange Cuvillier titled Tribulations d'une Femme dans l'Armee Francais. Lettres du Monde, 1991

There are two civilians he quotes: Tony Pittaccio, who was 12 at the time, born in Cassino but raised in Southampton, as his father was half English, like himself. He was visiting his mother and two sisters.

Gemma Notarianni was seventeen and from Valvori. tells how her family got out of there, orignially a route through Sant'Elia, but a bridge was out, so they went over mountain roads to Vallerotonda. There was a confrontation with Gorms, but they got through.

Natually, the civilians suffered, from mines and bombs, malaria and starvation, not to mention being shot at by both sides when going through no man's land.

I have scanned about 15 photos that my Uncle Joe Wawro took while in the Fifth Army in Italy, none near Avellino, but of Anzio, Cesterna, Gaeta, Rome. more towards the coast. I will post in another topic. One of him in Rome next to a mobile gun shows a little girl bringing a cup to him.

I think he means Cisterna in this photo.

Also reading the US Army book about the Fifth Army in Italy that he had.

I have told other people about your post and book. Perhaps Biff83 can help; he posted this site about getting your dad's military history online, but much more there:
Dad's War - Finding and Telling Your Father's World War II Story

Dave
Ferro (from Ferri), Capriotti(TE); De(i)Marzio, Nervina(o), Colucci, Gatto, Testa(CB); Basile(BA) ; Bianchi(AQ); Augello, Bissi, Iacono(AG); Pisano(), Impaglia () Friends looking also: Vivenzio (SA); LoPiccolo(PA)-seems to be Lopicolo originally