casinium

As a nation state, Italy has emerged only in 1871. Until then the country was politically divided into a large number of independant cities, provinces and islands. The currently available evidences point out to a dominant Etruscan, Greek and Roman cultural influence on today's Italians.
5 posts • Page 1 of 1

casinium

Postby jolynn » 26 Oct 2007, 14:35

hello all, can anyone help, i am trying to find out the chronological order of the town of casinium through to san germano then to cassino, it is the years when the names were changed i am interested in also was cassino once spelt cassin, thankyou all regards, john p.s. was cassino once in the province of caserta, thanks again, john
jolynn
Elite
Elite

Re: casinium

Postby NOLA » 26 Oct 2007, 14:56

Google in gli origini di Cassino, and you will find its name traced from pre-historic times
NOLA
Rookie
Rookie

Postby jolynn » 26 Oct 2007, 17:31

helo nola, thankyou for that, i have googled it but have not been able to find much, any further help from anyone appriciated, thanks again, regards, john
jolynn
Elite
Elite

Postby millybobs » 10 Nov 2007, 21:56

The town, originally established by the ancient Volsci people, passed under Roman control in c312BC and was known to them as Casinum. It flourished and developed into an important military and communications cenrte during the Republic and early Empire. After it fell into partial ruin, a settlement known as Eulogimenopoli was founded there. In 866AD this became the medieval town of San Germano and it was here that the Treaty of San Germano was signed in 1230 between the Holy Roman Emperor Frederick II and Pope Gregory IX. The town resumed the name Cassino on 23 May 1863.

Millybobs
millybobs
Rookie
Rookie

Postby jolynn » 12 Nov 2007, 20:03

hello, thanks for that info. i have sent you a p.m. regards, john
jolynn
Elite
Elite

5 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to Italian History & Culture